Childs Detector

All,

A family friend is interested in getting a detector for his 10 y/o son who is interested in detecting.  Obviously, they would prefer to stay as cheap as possible in case he doesn’t like detecting.  I have no doubt someone here has gone down this path and can provide some excellent advice on good choices for a 10 y/o.  

Thanks in advance.  

• Like 1

ML Go Find series starts at $123.00 for the GF22.

Xterra Pro is $248.00

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MFF18B said:

All,

A family friend is interested in getting a detector for his 10 y/o son who is interested in detecting.  Obviously, they would prefer to stay as cheap as possible in case he doesn’t like detecting.  I have no doubt someone here has gone down this path and can provide some excellent advice on good choices for a 10 y/o.  

Thanks in advance.  

I went through this with my 11 year old grandson a couple years ago, I weighed all the options like the  Mine Lab go find, and Nokta's first swing, and what I did instead of getting my grandson something that looked like a kids toy I went with the Nokta Simplex Plus, which is about the same as the three newer simplex models, the reason being the Simplex Plus was a detector he could actually grow into, the Simplex models all collapse down short enough that they can accommodate a young person or an adult, and they do not brake the bank for someone starting out detecting, if they wanted to go to a little more advanced detectors they could choose to move up to one of the two Score detectors Score and Double Score, my personal recommendation is to go with the Simplex Lite,Simplex BT or the Simplex Ultra, at the time when I purchased the Simplex Plus for my Grandson the other three simplex models were not available, my Grandson still uses his simplex Plus and loves the fact that I did not give him a detector that looks like a kids toy.   

• Like 5

I just bought a simplex lite for a 7 yr old. Impressive detector for the price. I think they are about $200. Simple to operate, but find small stuff. Adjustable down to 25 inches.  

• Like 2

On 5/11/2024 at 5:08 PM, MFF18B said:

All,

Thanks in advance.  

I would recommend a Quest X5 ( 200Eur ) or X10 ( 240Eur ) .They are featherweight ( 950g ) and they have excellent electronics . I have tested the X5 , I have recently recommended it to a child and he is very happy with it .  See the 2 videos below

Or perhaps a Nokta MiniHoard ( 750g ) 

The Nokta FindX , Score , Simplex and Minelab Equinox , Xterra Pro and Vanquish are too heavy for a 10y/o to my opinion 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quest X5 and X10 vids  :

https://www.maisondeladetection.com/content/39-video-de-detection-peche-aimant-orpaillage

X5X10.png

• Like 1