D2 Wet Sand Help

steve5

Hopefully some people with more experience on this machine will chime in with some needed help.
Using the D2 on a salt water wet sand area. 11x13". Program 11. I turn reactivity to 1.5, turn down sensitivity to 90. Each swing is stable. No little chirps or other noise coming in the headphone while swinging. I turn discrimination down to 0 and dig anything that doesn't come up from 1 to 10. If its higher than 25 I swing over it a few times. If at anytime a number comes up for even a flash second from 0 to 10 I leave it. Can good targets ever give numbers that fluctuate from say 75 down to 3 then up to 65? The numbers change every swing over the target
The only target that I can get a stable number on are pull tabs... at 56. Everything else jumps around. No other target is stable. I noise cancel and gb.
How to get a stable ID? and still get targets that are deeper than 3"?  The sand is clean.  0 black sand.
If I notch out or discriminate from 0 to 20, it will still give some sort of grunt or little blip... How to eliminate the noise completely from 0 to 20?
Is there a tone setting that gets louder the closer the target is to the coil? For example, a target on top of the sand blows your ears off, but a deep target gives a little tiny whisper.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
On a side note the targets I'm primarily after are 24k gold. 18k gold. Silver. Is there a way to hone in on these targets only?

• The title was changed to D2 Wet Sand Help

1 hour ago, steve5 said:

Can good targets ever give numbers that fluctuate from say 75 down to 3 then up to 65? The numbers change every swing over the target
The only target that I can get a stable number on are pull tabs... at 56. Everything else jumps around. No other target is stable. I noise cancel and gb.

To clarify, are you digging coins, jewelry and other good targets that give jumpy numbers? If so, what country are you in? 

I've definitely had junk jewelry made of steel/other cheap metals give off that kind of jumpy ID before, but it doesn't happen with most targets.

1 hour ago, steve5 said:

How to eliminate the noise completely from 0 to 20?

You can increase the discrimination up to 20, which will mean that you won't hear anything at all when you swing over a target with that ID.

1 hour ago, steve5 said:

Is there a tone setting that gets louder the closer the target is to the coil?

Could you explain what you mean? 

You might be talking about "audio response." High audio response settings mean that all targets will sound about equally intense regardless of how deep they are, while lower settings will give you the strongest response on targets close to the surface of the ground, while targets deeper in the ground will give a fainter signal.

2 hours ago, steve5 said:

Hopefully some people with more experience on this machine will chime in with some needed help.
Using the D2 on a salt water wet sand area. 11x13". Program 11. I turn reactivity to 1.5, turn down sensitivity to 90. Each swing is stable. No little chirps or other noise coming in the headphone while swinging. I turn discrimination down to 0 and dig anything that doesn't come up from 1 to 10. If its higher than 25 I swing over it a few times. If at anytime a number comes up for even a flash second from 0 to 10 I leave it. Can good targets ever give numbers that fluctuate from say 75 down to 3 then up to 65? The numbers change every swing over the target

In general, such ID fluctuations are not common with pure non-ferrous targets.  If you are swinging over bottle caps or junky mixed metal targets or over multiple targets of various ferrous and non-ferrous compositions, this ID fluctuation can happen.

How to get a stable ID? and still get targets that are deeper than 3"?  The sand is clean.  0 black sand.
If I notch out or discriminate from 0 to 20, it will still give some sort of grunt or little blip... How to eliminate the noise completely from 0 to 20?

You say this ID fluctuation happens on wet sand, what is you salt sensitivity setting?  Lower salt sensitivity settings can cancel instabilities related to salt in the wet sand but also decrease sensitivity to small, mid or low conductive targets such as gold micro-jewelry.  If your salt sensitivity setting is too low, then you may be cancelling out these targets that ring up in the 30's or less.  Since your swing is quiet in the wet sand, you may have some room to increase your salt sensitivity setting, increasing your sensitivity to small gold jewelry.

No reason to lower your disc setting to zero.  On the Deus 2, a reasonable disc setting applied anywhere in the iron range (0 through 10, typically, but you can set it slightly higher if you are hitting ferrous above TID 10, I typically set mine to 10 and no lower than 7) does not reduce non-ferrous depth performance, enhances overall non-ferrous target ID stability in the presence of iron and, if you DO want to still hear the iron audio, iron volume enables this or you can turn iron volume off and make iron silent.  I would personally recommend setting Disc to 10 and setting a notch from 10 to 20.  But you can also just set disc to 20 and probably get away without missing many desirable targets.  But again, it is recommended to apply disc at a minimum of about 6 or 7 to enhance overall stability and to mitigate target ID fluctuations and "down averaging" of non-ferrous target IDs in the presence of iron.

If you are hitting a lot of bottle caps with fluctuating TIDs, don't be afraid to add some bottlecap rejection anywhere from 3 to 5.  You will hear a blip when the filter kicks in on a bottlecap, so you know when you sing over one, but can just ignore it otherwise.  I basically keep mine at 5 and have not had issues still digging strong mid-conductive non-ferrous at decent depths.

Is there a tone setting that gets louder the closer the target is to the coil? For example, a target on top of the sand blows your ears off, but a deep target gives a little tiny whisper.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

As @abcoin stated above, if you set Audio Response to lower numbers that enhances the effect lowering target volume for deeper targets and increasing volume for shallower targets.  If you want a more pronounced effect, use Pitch audio.  Pitch audio continuously changes the target signal pitch and intensity based on target signal strength.  However, you tone-based target ID and have to rely on displayed visual target ID get an idea of the nature of target conductivity.  I prefer pitch audio because it is very reactive and descriptive of the nature of a target, especially target footprint or depth.  Recommending experimenting with it.

On a side note the targets I'm primarily after are 24k gold. 18k gold. Silver. Is there a way to hone in on these targets only?

The issue is that gold has a wide range of possible target IDs from 25 to 80) based on purity and target size, weight.  Silver has less variability and typically just rings up above 85 for coin and ring sized targets and unfortunately, as far as target ID is concerned, usually falls within the same range as aluminum junk.  So I don't like to make recommendations on how to set up ID notches to cherry pick such targets because you will invariably filter out keepers.

HTH

• Like 3

I would concur with Chases' advice because I don't understand why you would lower discrimination to zero.  The preset programs on the Deus II are very good.  As many seasoned users have suggested, if you are new to the detector DO NOT change anything and just use the presets.  I hunt saltwater beaches a lot and I use Beach Sensitive.  Outside of changing the tones I run stock and I get solid repeatable numbers in the wet sand. 

Bill

• Like 1

What program are your settings based on? I just got back from a week at the beach, 4-6 hours a day out there in dry, wet, and surf at low tide. I use Beach Sensitive.

The only time I ever get a "fruit salad" of tones is when I encounter certain bottle caps, or I'm swinging over a cell phone. 🤔

Like Chase I keep bottle caps at 5, and like you I run discrimination at 0, so iron volume has no effect. I can always tell a bottle cap from something good, and I don't see much fluctuation in ID or tones even at full tones/high square. If it's crazy I advise digging it as long as the high tones outnumber the low. If the low tones are dominant it's a bottle cap. I use high square for its effect on aluminum.

This past week I could run Audio Response at 7 early in the morning with sensitivity at 92. In the evening I had to turn AR down to 5, and I could turn sensitivity up to 93. Many of my finds were a foot deep. It's not completely quiet but I'm happier hearing something. I don't think I could stand my detector being completely silent until I encounter a target, I'd have to keep checking it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys.  

The reason why I have disc at 0 is because it gives a sound on targts 0-10 regardless of the settings I choose. 

With disc at 0 I can swing over a target repeatedly, and if at any point the ID flashes below 10 I leave it.  24k, 18k, silver won't give a signal below 10 regardless of how many times I swing across it. 

Is this statement correct?

I'm in Asia.  No coins.  Only high K jewelry.

Thanks again

15 hours ago, steve5 said:

Thanks for the tips guys.  

The reason why I have disc at 0 is because it gives a sound on targts 0-10 regardless of the settings I choose. 

With disc at 0 I can swing over a target repeatedly, and if at any point the ID flashes below 10 I leave it.  24k, 18k, silver won't give a signal below 10 regardless of how many times I swing across it. 

Is this statement correct?

I'm in Asia.  No coins.  Only high K jewelry.

Thanks again

It is a generally correct statement, but you are better off using a disc of 10 and enabling iron volume in my opinion.  Applying disc better stabilizes the machine in the presence of iron or mixed ferrous targets and with iron volume you will still hear a distinctive iron grunt if the target ID even intermittently dips below 10 while swinging over it.  I will say that I have dug deep non-ferrous targets that have given occasional iron grunts while swinging over them, so I would only walk away from targets that give a mostly ferrous tone and ID <10.  The best approach to making a dig decision is to swing back and forth over a target to see if you are getting a mostly good two-way non-ferrous signal then swinging across the target at a 90 degree orientation compared to your original swing.  If you are getting mostly good two-way response in both orientations, then dig.  If the target goes completely to ferrous in one direction then you have decision to make as to whether to walk away.  That is also why I sometimes give a mostly ferrous sounding target a "second chance" if I get ferrous response one way and a clean non-ferrous response at a 90 degree orientation.  I have to have a gut feel from the first ferrous response that it is worth doing the 90 degree turn and then digging.

• Like 2