Manticore, Upper Shaft Between Armrest And Handgrip

Strandjutter

I just purchased the Manticore. But I found out that the space between the armrest and handgrip is too long. I had to put the armrest all the way toward the handgrip but now the end of the shaft is too long and it is in the way when I swing the detector.

If I only could move the handgrip with the batteries more toward where the armrest is. I think the shaft has indentations where the handgrip with the battery pack goes. If I move the handgrip then the battery pack won't be water tight any longer I think. 

Is there an aftermarket detector shaft available that is shorter between the armrest and the handgrip?

I had contacted Minelab but they do not have a different setup.

Mary

IMG_9361.jpg.a9564075bbc30e23421589e662650075.jpg

I looked at mine, only thing I can see to do without attempting to move the control head is to cut the end of the shaft off at the same angle it currently is cut and replace the stopper back onto the new shorter shaft end. You could cut it right where your ruler says 2 1/4" in the pic and follow the line of that plastic design to keep the same angle.

Does anyone know if you can slide the control head on the shaft to a new position without un-waterproofing it?

Thank you, Brad.

I thought about cutting a part of the end off. But that probably would void the warranty.

I have not used the machine yet. Mainly have been using the MXT and Equinox 800. I did not have a similar issue with the Manticore. Since I will be using the detector on the beach and in the water I think I will try the Manticore first in the water. If no leaks then I can always cut off approx. 2" from the end of the shaft. 

29 minutes ago, Strandjutter said:

Thank you, Brad.

I thought about cutting a part of the end off. But that probably would void the warranty.

I have not used the machine yet. Mainly have been using the MXT and Equinox 800. I did not have a similar issue with the Manticore. Since I will be using the detector on the beach and in the water I think I will try the Manticore first in the water. If no leaks then I can always cut off approx. 2" from the end of the shaft. 

Besides the warranty, the other thing you might need to consider is the ability to re-sell the machine in the future.  There are other things that can go wrong besides leakage due to manufacturing issues, so I would give your machine at least 3 to 6 mos. before irreversibly altering the shaft.  I am relatively short and don't consider myself having very long forearms, but have not felt the need to push the armrest too far forward such that the shaft end extends out too far, but I understand your issue.  I would suggest finding the point at which the protruding rear part of the shaft does not interfere with your swing and set the armrest there to see if you can accommodate that less ideal position.  Otherwise, I would suggest keeping an eye out at SteveG's  detector rods site for forthcoming complete replacement shaft systems for Manticore (right now he only has upper and lower shafts available for Manticore).  If you reach out to @steveg directly, he may have some advice for your on how to adjust your Manticore armrest or can give you information on products that might help with your situation.  He knows his stuff regarding shaft systems he has designed for a number of detectors and goes out of his way to help folks with all kinds of detector rod system issues.  For frequent water hunting, especially in salt water, I think his shaft systems and associated hardware may hold up better to the abuse that salt water hunting brings to the equipment based on my experience using them for Equinox and XP Deus 2.  That being said, I think the new Manticore and Equinox shaft systems will hold up better than the original Equinox shaft to the rigors of water hunting.  HTH.

• Like 2

Thank you for this great information. 

Sometimes my son will use one of my detectors and I am sure he has longer forearms then I have. And he is way taller than I am, too. So permanently shortening the upper shaft may make it unusable for him. And as you mentioned an issue with a possible resale.

So, I will use the machine for several months and see how I can adjust my swing. Otherwise, I may go back to the Equinox 800. That machine worked very well when I was beach and water detecting last year in Hawaii. 

Mary

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Manticore, Upper Shaft Between Armrest And Handgrip
1 hour ago, Strandjutter said:

Sometimes my son will use one of my detectors and I am sure he has longer forearms then I have. And he is way taller than I am, too. So permanently shortening the upper shaft may make it unusable for him. And as you mentioned an issue with a possible resale.

So, I will use the machine for several months and see how I can adjust my swing. Otherwise, I may go back to the Equinox 800. That machine worked very well when I was beach and water detecting last year in Hawaii. 

Mary

Yep.  Nothing wrong with the Equinox 800.  If it has survived submersion at this point, your chances of having a water intrusion issue are small (but not non-existent).  I am still hanging on to my 800, though it has not seen much use lately, simply because it served me well for over 4 years and was a ground breaking detector in it's time.  The Manticore has some nice features and I like the new M9 coil, but if I was forced to only use the 800, I would still have plenty of fun and success detecting, primarily because I knew it so well.  HH and hope you find a way to satisfactorily adjust that Manticore, otherwise, keep on trucking with that 800.

5 hours ago, Strandjutter said:

Mary

Thanks for the kind words, Chase.

Mary, 

I do think adjusting your swing will solve this issue.  

What I have come to understand over time, is that there are two main ways, in terms of "mechanics," that folks will swing their detector.  I will assume, for the following discussion, that you are right-handed...

Here are the two ways...

1.  As a right-handed person swings their coil "to the right," i.e. past their right leg, and out to the farthest extent of the "rightward" portion of their swing, they allow their upper arm (from the elbow to the shoulder) to leave their side (i.e. move slightly away from their upper torso).  This type of swing motion uses your SHOULDER as the main joint of movement, when swinging the machine.  In other words, your arm sort of "becomes one" with the shaft, such that as you swing the coil to the right, and the shaft thus moves to the right, your upper arm moves to the right, also -- along with the shaft.  

When swinging the machine this way, with your upper arm moving out/away from your torso, there is no way for the butt end of the shaft to make contact with your back, even if the upper shaft "sticks out," well beyond the arm cuff.

2.  As a right handed person swings their coil "to the right," they keep their upper arm tucked against their torso.  In this type of swing motion, the ELBOW is the main joint of movement; the upper arm (and thus shoulder) stays fixed against the torso, and it is the LOWER arm (pivoting back and forth mainly at the elbow joint) that moves rightward as the shaft/coil move rightward. 

When swinging the machine THIS way, with your arm against your torso, the butt end of the shaft WILL hit you in the side/back, as you near the end of your "rightward" swing.  

While it may feel odd at first, you might try swinging your machine a bit more akin to "swing #1" that I described above.  As you sweep the coil to the right (assuming you are right-handed; it would be the opposite for a left-hander), past your right leg and away from your body toward the end of your swing arc, allow your UPPER arm to move AWAY FROM your torso a little bit, sort of "following" the shaft, as it moves rightward.  If you can accomplish this (and it may take a bit of time to feel more natural), I think you will find that the issue of the end of the shaft bumping your side/back will be resolved.

Steve

• Like 3