Jump to content

Nokta Pointer 18.2 Khz Version Sensitivity On Foil Or Small Gold


Recommended Posts

Anyone have experience with this pinpointer?  

I think the old one used to be closer to 12 kHz and they changed it due to interference with Simplex.  I think that was the intent anyway. 

Since a lot of the VLF detectors marketed for gold are in that 18-19 kHz range I was wondering if this would be more sensitive to those pesky small foil and maybe gold items when trying to pinpoint. My F Pulse is great other than it seems to struggle with foil.  Not a show stopper but if I were to get a different back up, was curious if this might be more sensitive to pesky foil. I’ll still have to get over its use of 9v but that is a different nitpick. The buttons are on back of cap which also seems like odd placement. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


PI pinpointers in general seem to struggle with small targets in general. Maybe because the pulse delay is too long on them. If that was adjustable I think they would be excellent.

My guess, just a guess is the new 18khz would be on par with other pinpointers like the Carrot and Profind.

There are rechargable lithium 9v batteries out there. I use them in my Carrot and one my Tesoro's. They work great and last really long between charges.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, kac said:

PI pinpointers in general seem to struggle with small targets in general. Maybe because the pulse delay is too long on them. If that was adjustable I think they would be excellent.

My guess, just a guess is the new 18khz would be on par with other pinpointers like the Carrot and Profind.

There are rechargable lithium 9v batteries out there. I use them in my Carrot and one my Tesoro's. They work great and last really long between charges.

Yes, I was wondering if at 18kHz it would be any benefit or better.  Seems most other VLF are around 12kHz mark like the ones you mention. I was thinking about another PI like the PulseDive but then started looking into he VLFs. I had a TRX for a bit and although deep, AAs, and tip only, I found it a little quirky/unstable so I sold.

I am running EBC lithium AAs and those have been nice so far. I suppose the 9v lithiums are a good compromise. AA would just be more ideal to me.

I don’t really need a spare. The FPulse has been very reliable.  Just looking to try something else but not under any pressure to push me one way or another.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You make a good point, I didn't know they'd changed the pointer to 18kHz but they have.

It should be more sensitive to small targets you would think?

Has anyone got one that can run a few pellets or tiny gold nuggets over it and see how it goes? If it's more sensitive I most certainly want one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You make a good point, I didn't know they'd changed the pointer to 18kHz but they have.

It should be more sensitive to small targets you would think?

Has anyone got one that can run a few pellets or tiny gold nuggets over it and see how it goes? If it's more sensitive I most certainly want one.

I was hoping you would chime in. I think in past you did some evaluation of various common ones. Again, I think intent was minimizing interference with the Simplex but I recall he gold detectors having around 19kHz or so and figured this might transfer to pinpointers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, nickelNdimed said:

I was hoping you would chime in. I think in past you did some evaluation of various common ones. Again, I think intent was minimizing interference with the Simplex but I recall he gold detectors having around 19kHz or so and figured this might transfer to pinpointers. 

yea, that's what I was thinking too, most pinpointers sit around the 12kHz mark, so surely 19kHz has some sensitivity benefits.

Even the Whites TRX is 12kHz, I think it ends up the most sensitive as its detection field is smallest just at the tip of the pinpointer, so it's a smaller coil for lack of a better description. 

The PI pinpointers are all insensitive to small targets.

I'm still on the hunt for a good highly sensitive pinpointer, I'll have to keep an eye on this Nokta just in case.  At the moment I've settled on the XP Mi-4 and Garrett AT, both are 12khz, well the Carrot is 11.5 but close enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a long time I had an old Whites bullseye that ran at 36khz. It wasn't any more sensitive than other pinpointers out there.

My guess the 18khz might be friendlier with more machines than the lower khz. Not an issue with wireless pinpointers as they don't run the same time on the headphones.

Coil wiring probably and power to the coil in the tip probably makes much more difference in sensitivity and depth than the frequency.

I own a Pulse Dive pointer. Very well built, runs great but it is not sensitive to small targets ie foil, gold chains, tiny earrings so I only use it where there is a lot of coal/coke and black sand where it shines. Not that good for the jewelry hunter and certainly not for a prospector.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the Pulse Dive is incredibly insensitive to small targets as the Pulse delay on it was set to a salt water environment.  I bought one too and as a Pinpointer it's a bit lacking really unless you just hunt coins and larger jewellery targets, as a salt water pinpointer looking for bigger targets like rings and coins it's likely awesome as it would run very stable with it's coil options.  I'm yet to use it in that scenario although that's why I bought it, I wasn't expecting it to be good on small targets.

I'm surprised the Bulleye wasn't overly sensitive, it's always intrigued me but I never bought one due to the difficultly and insane cost of buying Whites in NZ having to order from the USA which seem to use jet fuel based on a pure liquid gold formula to fly their freight to NZ.

My testing so far even in my somewhat mild soil has indicated the Whites TRX, XP MI-4, Garrett AT, Minelab Pro-Find 35 in that order are the most sensitive pin pointers I've tried although the TRX and Minelab suffer greatly with stability so the XP wins in the end as one that is usable while maintaining sensitivity with the Pulse Pin pointers like my Pulse Dive and F-Pulse being more beneficial for beach detecting or in more difficult soil situations, certainly not for sensitivity.

The only two I really use when looking for gold are the XP Mi-4 and Garrett AT, and in a beach situation I really like the F-Pulse although I haven't had the Pulse Dive long enough yet to use it, I'm sure I'll love it once I hit the water at the beaches in a few weeks, it will certainly be coming along for the mission.  I just hope my out of warranty Nox doesn't drown as my Manticore is yet to arrive and I plan to do beach water detecting as this summer has been stupidly hot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kac said:

For a long time I had an old Whites bullseye that ran at 36khz. It wasn't any more sensitive than other pinpointers out there.

My guess the 18khz might be friendlier with more machines than the lower khz. Not an issue with wireless pinpointers as they don't run the same time on the headphones.

Coil wiring probably and power to the coil in the tip probably makes much more difference in sensitivity and depth than the frequency.

I own a Pulse Dive pointer. Very well built, runs great but it is not sensitive to small targets ie foil, gold chains, tiny earrings so I only use it where there is a lot of coal/coke and black sand where it shines. Not that good for the jewelry hunter and certainly not for a prospector.

I forgot about the Bullseye and think I had read somewhere of its high frequency. Good datapoint on that one. I imagine if they were some sort of magic on gold or jewelry people would seek them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2022 at 10:57 PM, nickelNdimed said:

I forgot about the Bullseye and think I had read somewhere of its high frequency. Good datapoint on that one. I imagine if they were some sort of magic on gold or jewelry people would seek them. 

It never effected or was effected by any of my machines but it did lack power. Sensitivity not much different than the Carrot I have now. What I did like is it was tip detection only.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Nokta Pointer 18.2 Khz Version Sensitivity On Foil Or Small Gold

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...