Equinox 900 On The Beach

Tmox

Some time ago I backed up over my 800 and destroyed every part except the fragile arm cuff.  I’ve been waiting to replace it and Gerry’s post that he was getting a shipment in a week was enough for me. Gerry is a pleasure to deal with- more on that in a separate post.

It takes all of 30 seconds to assemble. As mentioned by others the carbon fiber shaft and locks are a big winner as well as the arm cuff.

i hunt 90% of the time on a beach near the Oregon border. Lots of nails at times from people burning pallets.

- the bass in the headphones sounds muddy to be but not as bad as the ones from the 800. I miss the wm08.

-it seems even more sensitive than the 800, I base this on two things, I can easily detect tracks in the sand as well as moving water on the wave slope. The 800 would do that maxed out on the sensitivity, the 900 does it at sensitivity running 20 - 21.  As my Buddy Ray says “ The good news is this is an extremely sensitive machine, the bad news is this is an extremely sensitive machine.”

-Faster, more separation? I can’t prove it but it’s fast for sure. I did find some spots with lots of nails but pretty barren of good targets. I did pick some small flecks of copper out of the nails. I’m totally confident that I’m hearing the good  amongst the nails.

i hunt fast and cover a lot of beach until I get to those spots with targets, this machine does exactly what I want. I’m happy.

2 hours ago, JohnnyRox said:

Has Minelab fixed the 600/800's issue of targets near the water's edge  disappearing when a wave washes over the coil?  

I’ve never exactly had that problem with the 800 or 900. Having said that I would say that the more turbulent the water the more “water” signal the target has to compete with.

Your question comes at a good time  because I wanted to add to this post. Been on the beach every day, we had 25 ft waves on Tuesday and slowly calming seas for the rest of this week. Thursday was maybe down to 10’ and yesterday ( Friday) was back up to 13’ or so. 
- I would now say that the machine sounds the same in shallow “ slow” surf and May be more noisy in the real turbulent run up wave.

- I am convinced after this week the machine is a little more sensitive. I base this on those tiny pin head pieces of metal are are a little deeper. I know that is totally anecdotal information. It’s a blessing and a curse!

- I’m getting along better with the head phones but I would like crisper bass.

- I smile every time I use the telescoping shaft! It’s such an improvement.

Tim