Question About Chirping With No Screen Info

Gary985112

33 minutes ago, Gary985112 said:

So the 360 look, this terminology is a bit new to me. So when you investigate a target, sometimes its better to move your coil in a circular motion instead

No. It means you located the center of the target and keep sweeping over the target as your body rotates around the target 360 degrees. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, midalake said:

No. It means you located the center of the target and keep sweeping over the target as your body rotates around the target 360 degrees. 

Ok and when you said "a break down in the signal", 

- Something ferrous will have a "break down" which means the signal will like, sound differently or sound like iron?

- But a non-ferrous target will sound completely the same as you circle it from all angles?

Is that right? Or can you elaborate on what a break down is of signal?

Thanks for your time, sorry to bother you, I just want to learn everything that I can.

38 minutes ago, Gary985112 said:

- Something ferrous will have a "break down" which means the signal will like, sound differently or sound like iron?

- But a non-ferrous target will sound completely the same as you circle it from all angles?

Is that right? Or can you elaborate on what a break down is of signal?

Thanks for your time, sorry to bother you, I just want to learn everything that I can.

You can test this for yourself with some iron and steel targets and with some USA coin targets if you are in the USA.

13 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

Thanks for the info. So the 360 look, this terminology is a bit new to me. So when you investigate a target, sometimes its better to move your coil in a circular motion instead of side to side? Can you explain?

You keep your swing and coil the same but rotate your body around the target to see if the ferrous vs non ferrous changes. Imagine a old fashioned clock, you sweep the target from 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock and back, get a mixed ferrous, non ferrous tone. Then take a side step and you are now sweeping about 8 to 2 as you circle keeping the target in the center.

You can take a step to the side then sweep, another step, etc. some just make a 90 degree sweep (9 to 3 then 12 to 6) from the first sweep where the target sounded off. 

I take a short step then sweep. If it still sounds good maybe another step/sweep. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

Yes, with Horseshoe mode on. It may sound great except for one angle. That target is 100% ferrous unless your TID says different. Non ferrous targets near the surface have the ability to double ring. Not to worry, your numbers will tell you to recover.
Anything at depth that double rings is ferrous! You will still get tricked in digging a few ferrous targets here and there that beat that system.  

14 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

Yes, with Horseshoe mode on.