Manticore's First Gold Chain

okara gold

Beautiful find. So, the Manticore can find gold chains, and it found it without hitting on a clasp. Great find. Low ID numbers I would imagine. That's a nice down payment on paying the Manticore off.

I’ve been finding very tiny bits of copper, aluminum and brass with the Manticore. I figure if it can find these bits then it should be capable of finding gold chains which it proved to do today. This wasn’t a surface or just below the surface find, but several inches in the wettest of salt sand. I’m really pleased with its beach capability performance. Ground balance in this area was around 10. The signal was absolutely… Dig Me!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:Low ID numbers I would imagine. 

5 / 6 ID

• Like 2

14 hours ago, okara gold said:

5 / 6 ID

Nice low numbers. The manticore may have 99 numbers but some of the combinations are weird. Those pull tabs are stretched over a large span of numbers and probably cross gold numbers a lot. I guess that is so we don't cherry pick gold 😄 So do the foil numbers. Gone are the days when a 6 or a 9 on the CTX 3030 got your heart pumping (especially at low tide). My only gold find was a man's ring that read 53. I found a pull tab the other day that rang higher that it should have. It rang up at 53 as well.

45 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Nice low numbers. The manticore may have 99 numbers but some of the combinations are weird. Those pull tabs are stretched over a large span of numbers and probably cross gold numbers a lot. I guess that is so we don't cherry pick gold 😄 So do the foil numbers. Gone are the days when a 6 or a 9 on the CTX 3030 got your heart pumping (especially at low tide). My only gold find was a man's ring that read 53. I found a pull tab the other day that rang higher that it should have. It rang up at 53 as well.

I've been finding most pull tabs hit high 20's low 30's but foil balled up in a coin shape has been a pia. That and little tiny bits of flat slaw or other metal no bigger than a round pin head in the first inch of sand. They keep falling through my shovel and I still can't find them even though it's only a handful of sand. 😠 Just keep walking on.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I've been finding most pull tabs hit high 20's low 30's but foil balled up in a coin shape has been a pia. That and little tiny bits of flat slaw or other metal no bigger than a round pin head in the first inch of sand. They keep falling through my shovel and I still can't find them even though it's only a handful of sand. 😠 Just keep walking on.....

I’m experiencing the same thing. Those tiny bits hit with a strong audio. I’ve spent too much time searching for the little buggers and when I do find them, my response is “unbelievable “! Unbelievable because it is sounding off so well on such tiny targets. But I keep thinking… chains!!  In the water is more problematic when the target falls through the scoop. I may resort to making a flotation screen with tiny holes so I can just dump a scoop in it, check the results and be on my way. 
I read an article about micro gold hunting on the beach. That is looking for earring backs, studs, etc. Seeing they will only be a few inches deep, use a plastic kids sifting toy with tiny holes and isolate the target in it quickly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

2 hours ago, okara gold said:

I’m experiencing the same thing. Those tiny bits hit with a strong audio. I’ve spent too much time searching for the little buggers and when I do find them, my response is “unbelievable “! Unbelievable because it is sounding off so well on such tiny targets. But I keep thinking… chains!!  In the water is more problematic when the target falls through the scoop. I may resort to making a flotation screen with tiny holes so I can just dump a scoop in it, check the results and be on my way. 
I read an article about micro gold hunting on the beach. That is looking for earring backs, studs, etc. Seeing they will only be a few inches deep, use a plastic kids sifting toy with tiny holes and isolate the target in it quickly. 

Small targets scream out loud.  That was one of the things that I didn't like about the Equinox and Manticore is the audio boost that seems to be applied to small targets. A tiny pinpoint helps you a bit, but some small rings may pinpoint small as well. Pull tabs for me have been all over the place but 20's -30's is where most fall. But 40's and even some 50's makes isolating a gold ring pretty hard I'm assuming. The land hunting seems to be where I get the 40-50's on pull tabs. I've even had some beaver tails read 27 which is what I thought a nickel would read. I'm starting to wonder if changing modes, changes target ID's a lot? If all the gold chains stay in the mid single digits, then that may help isolate at least gold chains where the tinfoil has already been washed away.

The tiny bits do hit hard which makes me believe this is a great prospecting detector. If we are using the 11" coil now and finding them easily, imagine how the smaller coil will be for small nuggets. Wish we had nuggets in Florida!

I'm using beach low conductors and prospecting audio with 20-23 sensitivity and the little critters jump out at me in the wet sand.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

That and little tiny bits of flat slaw or other metal no bigger than a round pin head in the first inch of sand. They keep falling through my shovel and I still can't find them even though it's only a handful of sand.

Those and some joker in one area loves to toss BBs out. If I am sure it was small enough to fall through the scoop holes, I just keep going. Once in a while, just for kicks, I keep looking until I find the tiny thing.

• Like 1