Strangest Beach Gold Yet!

Funny you should ask okie. Just found this dental bridge on Saturday. Rang up 14-15 on the Manticore. Hard to imagine the scenario under which this was lost. Was alcohol involved? Nice score on the crown!

DentalBridge 15 Apr 2023 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:41 AM, Compass said:

Having found several gold crowns over the years, I think that most, if not all, were from cremation urns. I became convinced of this when I found 3 on one hunt and all looked similar. I'm pretty sure that the melting point of most gold crown alloys is higher than the typical cremation temperature. My local beaches have also produced a few cremation tags so it must be a popular place to spread cremation ashes.

This ^^^^

As far as California is concerned:

Pacific Ocean - Scattering ashes in the ocean, commonly referred to as a burial at sea or water burial, is a popular option for families in California. According to the Federal Clean Water Act, you can scatter ashes in the ocean as long as it is done at least 3 nautical miles from shore.

Link

Something tells me there are a whole lot of people in Cali and Florida and elsewhere that don't worry about a regulation that dictates where you can scatter ashes at sea.

Just go to the beach that the deceased used to go to and scatter the ashes. As they wished. No harm done.

Their ashes will then become part of the beach that they loved.

• Like 1

I have found about 5 crowns over the years on our beaches. I have also found numerous cremation tags. They are usually somewhat charred and discolored. I always throw them back out in the water as far as I can. I remember the first one I found was hardly readable and I didn't know what it was, so I put it in my pouch. When I got home, I could see the writing and it had some numbers and the name of the crematory on it. I promptly returned it to its original resting place.

So, it would make sense that ashes are scattered in the waters that a dearly departed loved, and we sometimes find some remains.