Legend Or Nox 700...for Salt Beach

14 hours ago, adamBomb said:

Maybe I need to look into the D2 a bit more...darn it I don't want to spend more money lol

Hi AB, welcome to the forum and thanks for sticking with us, giving more info. 🙂

The Deus 2 is an incredible and versatile machine, apparently about to become moreso. It is extremely light, there are a lot of aftermarket accessories for it now, and with respect to ID's it is the tightest.

I own an equinox 600, it was my second detector and I was very successful with it. Bought the Deus not too long after it came out, used them both for a while, and now almost exclusively use the Deus 2.

By the time you get everything expect to be in the $2,000+ range. I have just about every accessory, all the coils, and the nice 280 backpack to stuff it all in. I recommend the Deus 2 especially to those who are retired due to its weight, and to water hunters because of it's incredible depth rating and proven history of not flooding.

Like you I travel during the summer and beach hunt on the east coast, I'm in Virginia on the Potomac.

The one big difference is that I relic hunt in the fall and winter, lots of history here, and lots of old farms - some dating to the 1640s. Here the Deus 2 is probably the best detector to have, if you're going to walk 5-7 miles in huge farms you don't want muscle cramps and tennis elbow that night. 😀

After using it for two years now, I prefer it to any Minelab machine because it can be set easily to reduce "boop fatigue", a common issue with nearly any Minelab detector. It is also extremely resistant to EMI, thus far only the Manticore (I don't have one) seems to come close in this detector genre.

When you buy the full package you literally get two detectors in the box. The WS6 headphones can also be used as a detector. Nice to have a backup handy, but it will cost you more in accessories to put one together.

I've found gold rings with both my 600 and the Deus, but I definitely prefer the Deus because I am older.

Do consider the Coiltek 10x5 for your son on the Equinox if you haven't already. You might want it yourself if you get a 700.

Best of luck, and we look forward to any questions you have regarding your purchase, this forum "brought me up" so to speak. 😀

• Like 4

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up getting a Nox700 today for just over $600 total. I did a ton of research on these machines and in the end thought this made the most sense for me.

The Legend looks awesome and I really wanted to try it out but I was a bit nervous since I am a beach only detector and it seems like they are still working out some beach kinks. Looks great and I might still pick it up at some point just for fun. I love that they seem to be updating it and working to make it a great machine. If it was my first multifrequency, I probably would have went legend hands down.

I decided against the nox 900 for the same reasons I went with the 600 vs 800. The 700+900 have the same internals, its just settings that are different. I don't need a gold mode. I hunt 0 Iron bias only, etc. Money was a big factor here too. Cant see the extra $400 value for me at all. I'd rather just get a nox 700 + legend at that point for almost the same price.

I looked at the Deus 2. It looks awesome. It looks light. I just didn't want to pay for it. It would be over 2x what I paid for the 700.

Manticore looks great as well. Again just way above what I'm willing to spend. I just don't think its going to add much value over the $600 detector I just bought.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, adamBomb said:

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up getting a Nox700 today for just over $600 total. I did a ton of research on these machines and in the end thought this made the most sense for me.

The Legend looks awesome and I really wanted to try it out but I was a bit nervous since I am a beach only detector and it seems like they are still working out some beach kinks. Looks great and I might still pick it up at some point just for fun. I love that they seem to be updating it and working to make it a great machine. If it was my first multifrequency, I probably would have went legend hands down.

Hi Adam.

Congratulations on your purchase.

I was curious where you read or saw that the Legend had some salt issues?

Granted, upon release, there was some salt issues, but Nokta quickly cleared that up with an update. Since then, I haven't heard of any legitimate issues with the Legend in salt, either on the forums or Facebook pages. In fact, I've only read or seen the opposite. However, I say "legitimate", because the salt issues I did see since that update, were related to user error. For example, using Beach Mode's "Multi Dry" instead of "Multi Wet", or misuse of the Salt Stability control. Both of which are explained in the manual. So ya, they were cases of the "RTFM!" 😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Hi Adam.

Congratulations on your purchase.

I was curious where you read or saw that the Legend had some salt issues?

Granted, upon release, there was some salt issues, but Nokta quickly cleared that up with an update. Since then, I haven't heard of any legitimate issues with the Legend in salt, either on the forums or Facebook pages. In fact, I've only read or seen the opposite. However, I say "legitimate", because the salt issues I did see since that update, were user error in which the user wasn't using Beach Wet mode, or far more common, the user didn't know the Legend has a Salt Stability control. Both of which are explained in the manual. So ya, they were cases of the "RTFM!" 😁

I did see the salt issues were worked out in an update and many at first were user error but then as I read more I found some errors with the multifrequency modes in general. I tended to find these scattered in all of the forums the more I searched...

Here was one example from Nasa Tom on 3/31:

Here is my response on another post (to Kingfish) regarding the Legend:

I guess I'm overdue to 'come clean' about the Legend. --------It is a detector. It does detect metal. It is built like a tank........very rugged.......and very ergonomic. And it ID's targets very well. Good bang-for-the-buck.
But. Here's the issue. It passes the bench-test with flying colors. . . . . and graduated to the test-garden. This is where the problem resides. In Single Freq Mode (lower freqs). . . . . it will ascertain a 14" deep dime.....and with reasonable ID accuracy; yet,,,,,,,,,, when you switch over to any of the (M1, M2, M3) multi-freq Modes........ it will barely detect a 10" deep dime; yet, with 100% iron ID. Several software updates have been released; yet, the problem still exists. Other multi-freq units (Deus-2, CZ, Manticore, EQX, DFX.......etc.......) do not express this issue. Yes...... Dilek, Barak (first-hand)....... and several Nokta engineers are aware of this issue. Last year (in Melrose, Florida)...... we went "video live-stream" with the full demonstration of this incursion. IF they get this issue resolved........ the Legend will be THE best-bang-for-the-buck. In other words: the Legend will give all of the other multi-freq units a very serious run-for-the-money.
NO........ I'm not being paid 'hush-money' to NOT talk about the Legend!!!

The issue is being analyzed/looked at again.

• Like 1

I don't know if Tom has a defective Legend, or if something else is going on, but the Legend's SMF will ID deep coins better than its single frequencies. Everyone else that I'm aware of that owns a Legend, says the same thing, and that includes hunters in highly mineralized ground. It's the nature of SMF to ID better than SFs on deep targets. 

In regards to salt:

The You Tuber "Gigmaster" is one of the best known YT'ers for hunting in salt conditions. He picked up a Legend a few months ago, and has mentioned numerous times about how much he loves it for his salt conditions. I haven't seen him use his other detectors since getting the Legend. In fact, in a recent video, he somewhat mentions why it his detector of choice, compared to the Manti, the Nox line, and his D2.

With that said, no doubt that you have purchased an excellent detector. I'm not trying to sway anyone's decision making, but misleading and often outright wrong information seems to be prevalent in this hobby. I only mention these things for others who are/will read this thread, and are considering a new detector. 

• Like 1

Good choice, Adam.

And excellent price!.

In Europe, a Nox 700 costs €899.

Open box costs €650 aprox.

From my point of view, one of the best choices for an experienced Beach Hunter. And more coming from a 600...It's finally waterproof!!!

I also hit the beach search and have owned a Legend. I did not want to intervene because my opinion could condition you.  Two summers, about 500h. I mainly use diving, my Nox 800 is older, and some surfing. Well with Silver, that's the best I can say...The day I sold it brings me great joy. I don't miss it at all...

In Europe €500, open box €400

You'll tell us...