A Question Of Audio Response

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! Do you hear a lot of chatter with AR that high, and are you using Beach Sensitive? I might need to look at another setting. 🤔 Or another program.

Really appreciate the info. 👍

I was in Beach Sensitive yesterday.  I was on a different beach yesterday and could work this beach at 91 +/-. With an AR of 6. Now my primary beach which I will hunt today I had sensitivity between 85 and 92 the day before. Yes, I have chatter. But is where I am comfortable. My disc. setting of 22 helps with chatter.
Because I am hunting with the 9" coil my reactivity is .05. If I raise it past .05 the audible detection signal really narrows up with that 9" coil and I am uncomfortable with that. I have used the 11" coil and you could raise the reactivity some with that 11" to help with chatter. Slowing sweep speed helps with chatter. Lowering your iron volume helps with chatter [mine is 3] 

Since I cannot hunt in water contact at all right now in either Beach or Beach sensitive, I am keeping the machine in Beach Sensitive because it more effective on gold chains. Normally I hunt high beach in Beach sensitive and turn around and hunt in constant water contact in Beach mode on my return. 

Another item that needs to be covered is Magnetic accept/reject..  I have done quite a bit of testing of that [including this trip] and it seems there is better performance with the accept mode.[regardless of the amount of black sand] The detector reacts choppy, and nonferrous signals are even worse in reject mode. 

Thanks Midalake and Colonel!

I went out and do my own test this morning. Just wanted to see for myself, and make sure I'm not missing gold when it's there.

Took these 4 rings, 3 gold and one silver to my little beach.20230820_112053.thumb.jpg.2cd2c0eaf1e955c92ea2313d97a73623.jpg

It turned out to be a perfect day to detect, river was flat and the tide was still going out.20230820_083416.thumb.jpg.49edec1a385da5e24b52f0ecaa49ac35.jpg

I bagged each one up and air tested them first with my original program at 95 sensitivity and AR at 3.20230820_083814.thumb.jpg.35c7533b11d54f6ec1927cf11e0b1e65.jpg 

The thin 10 garnet ring was a 45, noticed right off it disappeared at about 5 or 6" above it. The rest were loud up to a foot above. The 14k 150 year old yellow gold ring was a 73/74, white gold heavy band 67, and the silver signet was 91/92.

Buried each one about 8" deep at the waterline and tried my original settings (95 sensitivity AR 3), but then set sensitivity to 90 and AR to 6.20230820_084519.thumb.jpg.2102394d7656bf7220617e948472a8cb.jpg

I heard them all with my original settings but there was a big difference in audio with the 90/6 combination, and the 10k ring had an iron tone until I changed settings, but still gave the 45. The heavy white gold ring was faint until I turned AR up.

I found everything was loud and clear even with sensitivity down to 85. The silver ring was loud in every combination.

This tells me I haven't been missing much, but I will do a lot better next time I go out with this upgrade to my beach program. I do get some random false low blips and high tones, the high probably come from my cell phone trying to find a tower because there's no signal here, and the low come from coil sensitivity and moving water. I can live with that.

The only other thing I'm worried about is chains now, but this may help with that as well.

I wish I found something in these perfect conditions, but this is all I got both in the water and on the beach.20230820_113507.thumb.jpg.1ecd9f05672f8014d91e3d20827a604e.jpg

🤣 this place is pretty clean.

10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I went out and do my own test this morning. Just wanted to see for myself, and make sure I'm not missing gold when it's there.

Onsite testing is the way to go!!!!  Conditions changed wildly here. Out today on the primary beach and it was like having a different detector. The black sand content is WAY down and I am back to running 91 plus sensitivity and getting responses on targets with water coming past the coil.

It is just stunning the effect Black Sand has on detection fields. Today's issue was very few targets. Most have been pulled back to the ocean or buried under fresh sand.