Deus 2 Pacific Northwest Begs The Question

SeaScene

5 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

You make very good points. It took me a while to learn the fact that the D2 is a very nuanced sound machine depending on settings. While I don't think I've completely mastered it by any means, I've been hunting and experimenting with it for a little over a year and my ears and brain are getting trained to the sounds. And now, with the arrival of update V1.1, the sound has even better options and I'm really starting to understand its language. I mainly land hunt and relic hunt on shredded iron ghost towns (with permission of course) and I rarely look at the TID unless the audio is doing something weird, which can mean commingled targets. I mainly use Full Tones in High Square audio and can pick out a lot of useful target info with that. The sounds will alert me to a good target more than the TID does.

Of course, as I tell my wife, I need more training, and what better way to train than to go detecting! 😏

Light years ahead of me CPT.    Thanks for the post!  I will use your excuse too.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:01 PM, SeaScene said:

the response was high chirp and then iron "grunt" on all three rings.  Previously another poster here mentioned the same thing so he notched out the high tone and the grunt tone.  Replies from others to this poster were both yay and nay.  So, what I learn from my test is that if I do not dig everything I would miss gold and silver rings.  So ... that was the reason for my post.  If you have to dig everything anyway because discrim on the D2 fails at 10 inches in beach with good degree of black sand

Many know, but I only hunt beaches. I have found very few hunters that have black sand. I call my conditions moderate, so our hunting conditions may be close. For others who have followed my talking points, I have stated in the past that the D2 may not be the best MF machine in Black Sand. I know for a fact, that east coast hunters have different results than what I see. Couple that with a Deus 2 machine that has many settings that can affect performance and there is a large space for a learning curve and mistakes. 

One thing I would NEVER do is notch high tones. This is a major mistake since the D2 can throw gold all over the TID map. In the picture below is a 18g white gold chunk [stamped 14k] and acid tested. It rang a solid 98 TID on the D2. I have had several other high value gold items over 70 TID too. 

I do set my discrimination high at 22 and will be experimenting more with notching at 22 when I get back on my machine and that does help with Black Sand some.
There is NO reason to dig every fringe target. As stated in the past, watch those numbers, do a 360 look at the target and bring your sensitivity up 2-3 points. It is not 100% fool proof, but if that D2 does not throw you a good gold number on a fringe target say 32 to 68. It is a pretty good chance that target is iron. 

IMG_2039.jpg

• Like 3

"There is NO reason to dig every fringe target. As stated in the past, watch those numbers, do a 360 look at the target and bring your sensitivity up 2-3 points. It is not 100% fool proof, but if that D2 does not throw you a good gold number on a fringe target say 32 to 68. It is a pretty good chance that target is iron."   

OK .... Heading back out there testing again soon.  Thanks for very helpful advice ... 

• Like 2

The key for me is confidence. I have more confidence in my 800 than I do with my D2 in wet black sand. Most of where hunt has black sand and I just haven’t had the same success with my D2 on the beach. I probably only have 200-300 hours on the D2 so not like the 5 years and 1,000’s of hours on the 800. I can call pretty much most targets on the 800 but not the D2. If you feel better using another detector on the beach I would. 

I dig pretty much everything on the beach even the crappy targets because the 800 will clear up a target with a scoop or two or it’s crap. I don’t get that from the D2. I traded out my D2 just for this reason but kept my 13x11 coil and Steve’s awesome carbon fiber shaft in case I want to get a puck and use it in the future. 
Not every new detector works with everyone so keep searching until you got the one the works best for you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 7:29 PM, midalake said:

How is the beach working out? Any new settings? 

Hi... thanks for the get back.  On the beach.  I take with me a gold and silver ring and an old USA coin 1960 as test signals the signals of which I have absorbed.  I have got to the point of running D2 full on 99 beach and beach sens.  I listen in between the chatter.. .nerve wracking but I can handle it for a while.  Then I go back to "dampening" using the chatter settings.  I really like this deus.   I am beginning to run the machine instead of the D2 tech running me.   Good luck out there.  Cheers..

• Like 1