How Would You Like To Run Into This Big Boy Out Detecting?

13 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Speaking of which, I am back in Montana camped up by my claims in griz country. Glad to be out of rattlesnake country for a few months.

Reese, you have more guts than I do. Really like your book.

Jim

• Like 2

Thanks, Jim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Thanks, Jim.

Reese, I'm more of a prospector than nugget hunter, and your book added some new perspectives for me when looking at the terrain I go through. I highly recommend your book to everyone. Stay safe out there, from one old Montanan to another. (I graduated from hs at Darby)

Jim

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, SwiftSword said:

I learned recently that a grizzly can run 30mph, and that they have enough bite force to crush a bowling ball. They also don't bother killing you. They just pin you down and start eating. 

Grizzlies can out run a quarter horse in the first 100 yards. A human cannot out run a grizzly. Heck even on my quad, I am probably not going to be able to out run one. On a trail they will rip through the forest to cut you off further down the trail or road. They can climb trees, despite their size and shape of their claws. Their claws are on average of 4 inches long. They oftet will maul you around, torture you by biting you, slashing at you, jumping on you, then bury you while sitting back and watching for movement. It they see you move they will come back to maul you some more. They won't always eat you right away. They often will leave you to ripen in your shallow grave until they do get hungry. You can smell them long before you will see them. They smell like rotten flesh because they roll in dead carcuses.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

Im always detecting in areas with prime rock ledges and I never stop to think about lion attacks. I had one close call where I was panning and I heard a ruckus directly behind me. I instantly thought a lion had just sprung out to attack and take me down. When I turned around there was nothing there. It scared the crap out of me. What had happened was  branch in a tall tree fell and landed about five to six feet behind me. I also had a rock outcropping about twenty feet behind me. I need to be far more aware about lions than I always am. Quite frankly, I always forget about lions completely.

• Like 1

The track is of a very large wolf in the area I hunt. Very cool. Very big wolf. Biggest wolf track I've ever seen! Wolves are no issue at all.

IMG_20240502_113249443_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240504_103054556.jpg

IMG_20240504_102859910_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Looks like a big dog to me, Reese. Could be a really young wolf, Full grown wolves have a track about 5" across. Much bigger than a lion track.

Jim

• Like 2

• The topic was locked