Jump to content

Jim McCulloch

Member
  • Content Count

    48
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

100 Excellent

About Jim McCulloch

  • Rank
    Contributor

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location:
    Southern California Jim's Metal Detectors (760) 401-7514
  • Interests:
    Nuggetshooting, Fishing, Edible Mushrooms
  • Gear Used:
    Goldmaster 24K, MXT, GMT, SPP, M7

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. A husband and wife, experienced dry washers, but total newbies to nuggetshooting, both purchased my deluxe bundle, which included in-field training. When we met at the rendezvous site, neither assembled their equipment, explaining that they would prefer to watch me hunt for a while. To me, this was really odd. I mean, most trainees are supremely anxious to begin getting their training. Yet they had no interest in even opening their boxes. They intensely watched each target recovery. After about 30 targets were recovered, 3 of which were of a gratifying yellow color, they smiled, nodded to one another, and headed back to the truck to assemble their equipment, to begin receiving their training. Curious as to what had transpired, they told me "we had to be sure that a person really can find gold with a metal detector. If you had failed to find any gold, we were going to cancel the purchase. But now we know that these machines actually work...."
  2. Simon, "Nothing succeeds like success." When a person KNOWS that their detector can find such small gold, this gives them the realization that it is just a matter of time before THEY will find their own small gold. A positive, success-oriented mindset, combined with proper training, augmented by proper technique, certainly heightens the chances for success. To quote from "Advanced Nuggetshooting", "Remain positive and optimistic. Pysche yourself that you are going to find gold." HH Jim
  3. Yes, the 24k is making "worked out" sites productive again. Although the smallest bits I have found (in the field) in moderately mineralized ground here in CA, AZ, and ID weigh in at under 1/20th of a grain, under controlled experimentation in my test garden the 24K can find 1/50th grain microflakes, taped to a business card. Among the accessories my 24k customers get are my business cards with 1/10th grain flakes laminated onto them. I tell them to tune their 24ks to my recommendations, and use the cards as "pass/fail" tests. If they can detect them at 1.5 inches, all is well...
  4. The Target ID Graph on the 24k is based on the "percent probability" that a target is non-ferrous. Percentage readings of below 50% are in the ferrous (iron) range, those above 50% are in the non-ferrous range. Thus, the lower the number the greater the chance that the target is iron, and not gold. Therefore, a reading of "10" means that the target has a 10% chance of being non-ferrous, and a 90% chance of being iron. On the other hand, a reading of "80" means that the target has an 80% chance of being non-ferrous, and 20% chance of being ferrous (iron). These numbers are not the same as the target-identity VDI numbers on coin detectors, where a VDI of "50" is in the aluminum screw cap range. As for the Audio Mode two-tone target ID, the "breakoff" point of "50" (50% non-ferrous) means that targets whose percent chance of being non-ferrous is less than 50% (thus over 50% chance of being ferrous) give a low-pitched tone, whereas those targets whose chance of being non-ferrous is greater than 50% give a high-pitched tone. Low tone is (probably) iron and high tone is (probably) non-iron. Hope this explains matters. For the record, the Advanced Users Guide for the 24k in on the White's website. HH Jim
  5. Frank, my book builds upon, and adds to, what already appears in the "Goldmaster 24k Advanced Guide." The primary focus is optimal user techniques. The cheat sheet offers simplified tuning instructions, and, more importantly, optimal tuning settings. HH Jim
  6. I have just published a highly informative book entitled "Advanced Nuggetshooting with the Goldmaster 24k." It is a Goldmaster 24k-oriented MAJOR revision of my popular "Advanced Nuggetshooting - How to Prospect for Gold with a Metal Detector" book. It is 98% advanced nuggetshooting techniques. I am offering it, AUTOGRAPHED, PLUS my pamphlet "GMT 24k Controls and Recommended Settings" cheat-sheet, for $10.00, postpaid, to Continental US addresses. Payment via PayPal, to my account ophirau@gmail.com. Payment by check also accepted; contact me for more info. OR, for those of you who don't already have the original "Advanced Nuggetshooting - How to Prospect for Gold with a Metal Detector," I am offering the extensively-revised 2019 Edition, postpaid, autographed, for $9.95. HH Jim PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ORDER, PLEASE ALSO SEND ME AN EMAIL PROVIDING YOUR ACTUAL SHIPPING ADDRESS. PAYPAL DOES NOT PROVIDE SUCH. THANKS.
  7. Amen to that, HP. Integrity and one's positive reputation within the community ARE worth more than money.
  8. Before setting the 24k down to dig a target, always lock the GB to prevent ground balance drift. When the detector is lying on the ground, with the coil perpendicular to the ground, and the coil is facing into air, and no longer facing soil, in autotrac mode the XGB will search out the proper GB setting (which is its job) and thus can cause incorrect setting unless facing the soil. My smallest recovered 24K microflakes now range in the 1/15 to 1/20 of a GRAIN size , found in highly mineralized Mojave Desert soil. This machine is awesome! HH Jim
  9. Julie, master your machine, employ the operating tips found in "Advanced Nuggetshooting," at the locations shown in "Gold Nugget Areas of Southern California," and one day, while digging a target, cursing those lying members of this forum who falsely claim they have found gold with a detector, as you spot that golden gleam in your palm, the dark clouds above you will part, the heavens will open, streams of light will beam down upon you, and you will hear the Hallelujah chorus, and all will be well in your corner of the world. :} Or, if the foregoing doesn't actually happen, you'll likely shout "Well, its ABOUT TIME"" HH Jim
  10. I will be at my booth, "Jim's Metal Detectors," along with my pal Rob Johnson of the "Spud Diggers" YouTube channel. Drop on by... HH Jim
  11. Aureous, you will find that the 24k, fitted with the 6x4, will give the GBII, fitted with the 6.5x3, a run for its money in the ultra small nugget category. The 24k/6x4 combo will find 1/20 grain (and maybe smaller) pieces. Still, for me, the 6.5 concentric gives the best combination of depth, sensitivity, and maneuverability. And yes, it IS making "hammered for decades" patches productive again. We look forward to reading more about your auriferous exploits once the weather improves. HH Jim
  12. Mike, the Iron Cancel Mode on the 24k has 62 degrees of "iron" rejection. There are 6 bar settings: NO bar (1-4) one bar (5-14) two bars (15-25) three bars (26-41) four bars (42-61) and five bars (62). As would be expected, each higher number represents a higher degree of "iron" rejection, ranging from rejection of severe soil mineralization, then rejection of small hot rocks, rejection of larger hot rocks, small iron, larger (but still somewhat small) iron, and some steel alloys. Although not an exact science, due to varying circumstances, especially differing types of soil, hot rocks, and iron type/size/degree of rust, it is really an outstanding aid to eliminate the aforementioned "targets" WITHOUT undue discrimination "overkill" and extreme depth loss incumbent with other models of "iron reject/gold only" mode detectors. For example, here in the Mojave Desert my 24k can, optimally tuned, can find microflakes of gold as small as 1/15th of a grain. That's about 1/7200th of an ounce. With gold at $1300.00 per ounce, such a flake would be worth 18 cents. Employing "no bar" severe soil mineralization reject, such targets would be "iffy," but 1/4 grain bits (68 centers) still come through loud and clear. Using one-bar (small hot rock reject) 1/4 grainers are iffy, but 1/3 to 1/2 grainers sound loud and clear, with NO discernible loss of depth. Yes, with higher settings, there is a progressively higher loss of depth. BUT, thanks to the XGB ground balance system, combined with one-bar severe soil mineralization/small hot rock reject, I can hunt black sand washes which defeat lesser machines, can reject small "zipper" hot rocks, but still get sub-grainers, without the upwards of 60% depth loss with full-iron reject. Regarding hot rocks: some cannot be reliably rejected, but such even pose problems for PI's. Regarding "amping up" 24k performance: employ "b2" (boost 2) target volume, ultra faint threshold, medium self-adjusting threshold, and the highest gain setting which still provides the smooth, stable, operation for which the 24k is renowned. Hope this helps: HH Jim
×
×
  • Create New...