Deus II Underwater Antenna Cable

CLH

I read through all the threads I could find about the antenna cable for underwater use. I drilled the top shaft and threaded the cable through to the top and hooked to the control box, then proceeded to try and stuff the remaining Tasmanian Devil level coil spring excess cable into the lower shaft. What was I thinking? I finally got it all stuffed in there, but now the shaft obviously won't collapse all the way because the remaining wire in the upper shaft also has to go in there as it collapses.

After reading other threads I have come to the conclusion that I should be able to just lop the excess cable at the top end where it contacts the control box (since it really does not matter exactly where it sits), trim back the shielding and just waterproof it. I assume I could cut off either end, but the clip on the bottom is sort of handy, except that it covers the charging light. Since it requires a lot of fiddling to get that clip seated to be sure it is charging, seeing that light is important. Another oversight by XP. How hard would it have been to make a clip that does not cover the charging light? Now I have to take that off to charge too. More wear on the O-Rings. Maybe I will just cut off that end since a trimmed and heat shrink tube end there at least won't cover the light.

Anyway, does anyone have any input, pro or con, to just cutting off the excess cable? No point in buying some other cable since this one is useless as it is if you want to tidy things up and hide it inside the shaft. Might as well chop it up.

I have never been a fan of cables coiled around the rod, although this is a natural consequence when with only 50cm in diving configuration, it is all we have.

I would not cut the original antenna cable, but rather buy a couple of meters of RG 174 to make two sizes (one spare) and cut just enough between coil and remote .

At that point it would also be unnecessary to go through the inside of the rod, and two clamps would be enough to solder the cable next to it.

I have 2 cables already (2 machines) and can't see buying another cable so the factory one just sits in a bag doing nothing. I don't dive and never plan to, it would be just for wading as deep as I can walk so the length should never change. I am mostly wanting to make sure there is no reason this should not work before I cut it.

9 hours ago, CLH said:

I have 2 cables already (2 machines) and can't see buying another cable so the factory one just sits in a bag doing nothing. I don't dive and never plan to, it would be just for wading as deep as I can walk so the length should never change. I am mostly wanting to make sure there is no reason this should not work before I cut it.

I can say that if on the remote and coil the cable is correctly placed, the signal and obviously the connection between the two is effective.

Just this morning I had poor visibility in the water and as soon as I turned on the remote it said no coil 😒.

Approached the coil I saw the end of the cable disconnected and simply repositioned the clamp on the wing of the coil .Instant recognition and off it went.

By that I mean, if you cut the cable off one or both ends, you would lose the original supports that hold the ends of the cable in place.... That yes, it would create connection problems, unless you provide for creating a new rigid support with which to clamp the cable near the remote and coil 🫢

6 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

I use the short cable XP offers...much easier to install and more convenient. 

Yes, XP now offer three cables (in black!): 65cm (2ft) - intended for their dive shaft; 115cm (45ins), and 250cm (98ins)

The middle-sized one is a much better option for normal use - much less 'spare' to deal with.

• Like 2