Greetings From "downunder"

Gadget

Hi, I've just bought a Deus 2 V2.0 Firmware with the 9" coil, having owned a D1 for a few years already. great machines. I mostly prospect in highly mineralised soils for gold and I'm finding the GOLD FIELD  program extremely difficult to tame the machine against coil bump sensitivity. I know GB is critical however regular grabbing makes no difference, neither does dropping the sensitivity way down. I'm reading that Ground Stability setting may have some effect  however I don't think this is an option in GOLD FIELD ? Ill see if its available next time I get out for a swing but in the meantime I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences in all metal mode. It's a non issue in all other programs except GOLD FIELD.

Thanks Graeme

2 hours ago, Gadget said:

extremely difficult to tame the machine against coil bump sensitivity

I could be wrong, but I suggest you check the audio filter level and turn it down to 1 or 2.
What you describe doesn't sound so much like a ground balance problem as an over-amplification of signal.
I solved it this way after months of swearing by eliminating the ground noise.
Goldfield however is strongly responsive to movement and changes, even though you talk about bumping the coil.
Hope this helps

2 hours ago, Gadget said:

Hi, I've just bought a Deus 2 V2.0 Firmware with the 9" coil, having owned a D1 for a few years already. great machines. I mostly prospect in highly mineralised soils for gold and I'm finding the GOLD FIELD  program extremely difficult to tame the machine against coil bump sensitivity. I know GB is critical however regular grabbing makes no difference, neither does dropping the sensitivity way down. I'm reading that Ground Stability setting may have some effect  however I don't think this is an option in GOLD FIELD ? Ill see if its available next time I get out for a swing but in the meantime I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences in all metal mode. It's a non issue in all other programs except GOLD FIELD.

Thanks Graeme

I would also suggest adjusting the Audio Response a tad lower. Try 3-4 max and see if that helps. @Jeff McClendon will probably chime in here since he's an avid gold prospector and was helpful in getting the gold mode made more sesitive in the V 2.0 update.

Your main settings tools for trying to use Deus 2 FMF Goldfield on really hot ground are Sensitivity, Reactivity, Audio Response and Threshold besides doing a quick ground grab very often. Sometimes running Disc IAR on 1 can help a bit. That is similar to running normal Deus program disc at -5 or so instead of -6.4 and might take care of some of the ferrous ground noise. Running Sensitivity in the mid 80s to around 92 is the sweet spot at one really bad place I hunt. Over 92, sensitivity seems to go into overdrive for me anyway and coil bump noise starts up. Reactivity between 2 and 3 works well here in lots of small magnetite. When it gets to be pebble sized or bigger and is everywhere...............nothing will help that no matter what detector your are using. Keeping the audio response at 3 or below helps me. Running the threshold just high enough to smooth out the background noise also helps me so around 10 is when that starts to happen for my hearing. Keeping the coil a bit off the ground helps too in thick magnetite....maghemite/iron stone for you? I run the VCO audio in high square and Notch OFF

If all else fails, try Deus 2 Mono on 40 to 45 kHz, Pitch tones (I like the high square tones personally) sensitivity 90 to start with,  disc on -6.4, reactivity 2.5, Silencer 0, Notch OFF, audio response 3, threshold to suit and start from there.

To some degree, you will hear everything using Deus 2 FMF Goldfield. Getting rid of unwanted coil bump sensitivity is a good thing if possible.

None of this may help at all.....sorry!

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Your main settings tools for trying to use Deus 2 FMF Goldfield on really hot ground are Sensitivity, Reactivity, Audio Response and Threshold besides doing a quick ground grab very often. Sometimes running Disc IAR on 1 can help a bit. That is similar to running normal Deus program disc at -5 or so instead of -6.4 and might take care of some of the ferrous ground noise. Running Sensitivity in the mid 80s to around 92 is the sweet spot at one really bad place I hunt. Over 92, sensitivity seems to go into overdrive for me anyway and coil bump noise starts up. Reactivity between 2 and 3 works well here in lots of small magnetite. When it gets to be pebble sized or bigger and is everywhere...............nothing will help that no matter what detector your are using. Keeping the audio response at 3 or below helps me. Running the threshold just high enough to smooth out the background noise also helps me so around 10 is when that starts to happen for my hearing. Keeping the coil a bit off the ground helps too in thick magnetite....maghemite/iron stone for you? I run the VCO audio in high square and Notch OFF

If all else fails, try Deus 2 Mono on 40 to 45 kHz, Pitch tones (I like the high square tones personally) sensitivity 90 to start with,  disc on -6.4, reactivity 2.5, Silencer 0, Notch OFF, audio response 3, threshold to suit and start from there.

To some degree, you will hear everything using Deus 2 FMF Goldfield. Getting rid of unwanted coil bump sensitivity is a good thing if possible.

None of this may help at all.....sorry!

Thank Jeff,

I spent a couple of hrs today just "twiddling the knobs" and trying to get the machine into a more settled state. I left sensitivity at default 95. I note that reducing Reactivity does help a little and there's not a lot of ferrous trash to work through so it's manageable. Thanks for the tips, I've still got my original Deus 1 with the 9" white elliptical, I might try it over the same ground next outing and compare the 2.

Regards Graeme