Canadian Steel Clad And Recovery Speed

KDX

It warmed up a little bit so I went out to the test garden and tried changing the recovery speed in ATG to see if there was a difference with buried clad. With the coins buried down about 6 inches, on recovery 3, it was terrible trying to get an idea if there was something under the coil with a few of the coins. With the recovery set at 6, I could get recognizable repeatable signals, even though they weren't on the target line. More testing will be needed, but I definitely won't be running the recovery at lower numbers when I do get out again.

Hard to draw conclusions without additional details about your setup.  How far apart were the coins spaced? Soil mineralized or neutral?  Is EMI a factor?  Were the coins all high conductors or were there nickels and zincolns too?  Specifically, which "few" coins were difficult to ID at recovery 3.   What was your sensitivity set at?  Maybe you were overloading with sensitvity set too high which is known to cause instability.  Etc...

15 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

opposite of everything I've read which is that you LOSE depth with higher recovery speeds. 

same here- whelp......I WAS going to rake leaves, but clearly, this needs to be investigated immediately! 

Its possible you could have mineralized dirt and that could be affecting thngs, thats why a higher recovery speed is working.  If minelab would put a mineralization meter on the manticore it would be much easier to solve.

Just for a test set your ground balance to zero, recovery to 5, and increase sensitivity to as high as possible and see if it can actually detect those coins.  Then try lowing recovery and see if you can still detect them.  Do that in every mode and see if any of them work better.

One other thing, not sure if it was mentioned in any of your other threads if you don't have mineralized soil then its possible that you could have a defective coil.  I've seen a few post with people having issues and it was the result of a defective coil.

57 minutes ago, KDX said:

@ Yatahaze323  What is considered mineralized soil? When I ground balance it here it's usually in the 20-24 range.

Unfortunately, the ground balance reading doesn't tell you anything about how mineralized your soil is.  Minelab inexplicably does not include mineralization meters on their detectors to help you determine this.  Suggest (re-?)reading the responses to your post when you last brought this up to get a better idea of the difference between ground mineralization which affects Target ID accuracy/depth and ground phase balancing which zero's out the conductivity effects of the ground to minimize spurious ground signals in the ferrous region.  To determine how mineralized you ground is, you need to find someone with a detector like a Deus/Deus 2, Simplex or Legend, or Fisher F70/75 which have mineralization meters, to determine if your soil mineralization level is high and how that might be affecting what you are seeing in your test garden.

I went out in the back yard, set the ground balance at 0 and the sensitivity at 18 which is when the chatter went away (ATG). I have these coins buried 3 feet away from a 4' tall chain link fence. There is an underground service to my house buried about 10' past the fence. The clad nickle changes depth also with the lowering of the recovery speed. The ID numbers tend to bounce around a fair bit.

Recovery 5 and Recovery 3

nickle recovery 5.jpg

nickle recovery 3.jpg