Tiny Eagle Button

Lodge Scent

I was out this morning for a few hours at one of my cellar hole sites in the woods. I am still putting Sensitive Full tones through its paces to see what it can do at these sites where there are only iron masked targets left. Disc was at the standard 6.8, and I notched out 0-40 becuse this site has graphite that can ring in as high as 39 and it can sound pretty good under the coil. Left the Reactivity at 1.5 and went low and slow. I was surprised to dig a dozen or so nonferrous targets from this site including a few small buttons and a thimble. All were comingled with iron except one of the small bits of pewter. The midtone was often choppy as to be expected in the iron but the D2 rarely gets fooled on a midtone target when in Full Tones. 

I cleaned this small sleeve button and was surprised to see the outline of an eagle and shield. I thought it might be military but could not find anything to match it. Any ideas on what it might be??

Lodge

Eagle button 1 11262023.jpg

Finds 11262023.jpg

• Like 6

Way to sniff out the masked finds, Lodge Scent, well done! 😎

I don't recognize the eagle button, but it looks like it might be an early great seal design. I can see the Union shield on the eagle, an olive branch, and possibly stars above the eagle head, and it looks really old, as does that "sun" button. Congrats!

What is the disc at the bottom left corner, a coin?

• Like 1

Wow Lodge,

That button and the one next to it are really old. I'd like to see the shank on the green one. Also, nice star Tombac on the top left! 👍 Sadly they don't always come up whole. 😢

I'd try polishing the "silver button", also sidelight it. Looks like a half Reale to me. If you get tarnish it's at least plated. Does it have a shank on the back?

Great short hunt!

• Like 1

Thanks F350 and Fred. The silver button is definitely a button and not a half real. Though we have pulled several Spanish silvers from that group of sites over the years. I've located 7 cellar holes along a mile and a half stretch of a stream. Based on coinage and relics found, I think the earliest site was very late 1600s. All were abandoned by 1840s when they gave up trying to scratch out an existence from the land and moved to the city to work in the textile mills. Me and my buddies pounded these sites to death with our Whites and Minelab machines. When I got my Deus 1, I was amazed at what we had left behind. I must have pulled another 20 coppers from those sites and easily another 300 buttons. The D2 has perked them up again. Here is the reverse of the eagle button.

Lodge

Eagle button back 11262023.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

2 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

Thanks F350 and Fred. The silver button is definitely a button and not a half real. Though we have pulled several Spanish silvers from that group of sites over the years. I've located 7 cellar holes along a mile and a half stretch of a stream. Based on coinage and relics found, I think the earliest site was very late 1600s. All were abandoned by 1840s when they gave up trying to scratch out an existence from the land and moved to the city to work in the textile mills. Me and my buddies pounded these sites to death with our Whites and Minelab machines. When I got my Deus 1, I was amazed at what we had left behind. I must have pulled another 20 coppers from those sites and easily another 300 buttons. The D2 has perked them up again. Here is the reverse of the eagle button.

Lodge

Eagle button back 11262023.jpg

Thanks for the back photo, I was wondering whether it was a cast or soldered shank. 👍 It appears you have a great place to hunt, and a lot of excellent finds. I often wonder whether it is experience or a fresh angle with a new detector, but many of the places I've hunted heavily produce nothing new. 🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I often wonder whether it is experience or a fresh angle with a new detector

Same here since I own the D2 😄

I think it's a bit of both. And then I often find myself digging apperently "bad" targets, just to know what the new detector is trying to tell me - not seldom they turn out to be good ones. You really have to slow down in those trashy areas. For me, encircling the suspected target with the tip of the coil (maybe 1/4 - 1/3) worked out best during the past hunts.

• Like 3