Full Tones And Negative Disc -6.4

17 hours ago, raziel900 said:

In Paystreak's video it is the highly mineralized soil that allows it to be drilled better with high reactivity.... Could you use negative discrimination in that context? It would only lead to confusion without any advantage

I think that it's sort of the other way around:

The high mineralization means the only way to 'unmask' a non-ferrous target is to reduce the 'swept volume' of soil being analyzed under the coil at a given moment (by using higher reactivity and/or by using a smaller coil and/or - to a much lesser extent with modern machines - slowing your swing).  By reducing the 'swept volume' by whatever means, you are increasing your chances of 'seeing' the non-ferrous in amongst all the other stuff. What I'm saying is that 'masking' can be due to ferromagnetic dust evenly dispersed through the soil (what we call mineralization) and/or by bigger lumps/particles of ferromagnetic junk (the stuff we tend to think of when talking about 'masking').

Based on the above, given that unwanted ferrous stuff (of whatever particle size) under the coil in the 'swept volume' always tries to overwhelm the non-ferrous signal from the same volume - dragging it down towards ferrous - lowering Disc will help you to find good targets that are having their TID being 'drug down' (as some US Utubers say!) by this effect and would otherwise be ignored.  The downside is that your ears and brain potentially get overwhelmed by sound 'information'!

I'm referring to Paystreak's video, in fact even in other videos he explains that in his highly mineralized soil the high reactivity offers more "depth" in that soil if it lowers the reactivity the target sounds like iron.

7 hours ago, UKD2User said:

Based on the above, given that unwanted ferrous stuff (of whatever particle size) under the coil in the 'swept volume' always tries to overwhelm the non-ferrous signal from the same volume - dragging it down towards ferrous - lowering Disc will help you to find good targets that are having their TID being 'drug down' (as some US Utubers say!) by this effect and would otherwise be ignored.  The downside is that your ears and brain potentially get overwhelmed by sound 'information'!

Are there any advantages to lowering discrimination (-6.4)? It's the main question of this topic, we discussed it before. I'll give an example because I don't understand what you mean, a non-ferrous target with Tid 70 in a mineralized soil is masked with Tid 7 (ferrous zone) if we have discrimination at 10 that target sounds like a ferrous ok? Now, if in that context we have discrimination at 5, that target sounds like "good" but always with TID 7, right? Or do you mean that by lowering the discrimination that target with "drugged" Tid 7 turns into a Tid close to the real 70 so that coming out of the iron ladder?

1 hour ago, raziel900 said:

I'm referring to Paystreak's video, in fact even in other videos he explains that in his highly mineralized soil the high reactivity offers more "depth" in that soil if it lowers the reactivity the target sounds like iron.

And I've given my explanation of the effect he describes.

1 hour ago, raziel900 said:

Are there any advantages to lowering discrimination (-6.4)? It's the main question of this topic, we discussed it before. I'll give an example because I don't understand what you mean, a non-ferrous target with Tid 70 in a mineralized soil is masked with Tid 7 (ferrous zone) if we have discrimination at 10 that target sounds like a ferrous ok? Now, if in that context we have discrimination at 5, that target sounds like "good" but always with TID 7, right? Or do you mean that by lowering the discrimination that target with "drugged" Tid 7 turns into a Tid close to the real 70 so that coming out of the iron ladder?

Lowering Disc on the D2 does not change the TID of a given target - it just makes it sound like a non-ferrous target (if the 'drug' TID is above the Disc value) or ferrous (if the 'drug' TID is below the Disc value).

As a separate but related idea, what TnSharpShooter seems to have discovered - when looking at his 'BirdDog' settings - is that Notch (as opposed to Disc) does seem to alter the displayed (and heard) TID value - which is kind of weird, but useful in identifying otherwise 'drug'/masked non-ferrous.

So - as I suggested previously - the advantage you get from lowering Disc is in hearing more targets (some of which will have been 'drug' down) as non-ferrous than you otherwise would.  You therefore miss fewer good targets, but probably hear/dig more junk too.

only scanned the replies, didnt read them in depth.

i personally use full tones -6.4 discrim. whether my theories are accurate or not? who knows!

i like to think it gives the machine better performance because it is not trying to figure out if it should be iron or not (probably not true, but let me believe it)

also, it gives you all the information you can get out of the machine. which to me, is important. i want to make the decisions of whether or not i dig a target, not let the machine decide for me. i want as many clues as i can get, and having the entire range of audio gives me that.

now that being said, i hunt some sites that have iron under every sq inch of the dirt. sometimes i actually use relic with IAR and notch out everything (within a few #'s) that i am looking for.

so my answer to your question is yes. its worth it, but obviously depends on where and when you want to use it.

39 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

only scanned the replies, didnt read them in depth.

i personally use full tones -6.4 discrim. whether my theories are accurate or not? who knows!

i like to think it gives the machine better performance because it is not trying to figure out if it should be iron or not (probably not true, but let me believe it)

also, it gives you all the information you can get out of the machine. which to me, is important. i want to make the decisions of whether or not i dig a target, not let the machine decide for me. i want as many clues as i can get, and having the entire range of audio gives me that.

now that being said, i hunt some sites that have iron under every sq inch of the dirt. sometimes i actually use relic with IAR and notch out everything (within a few #'s) that i am looking for.

so my answer to your question is yes. its worth it, but obviously depends on where and when you want to use it.

Yup. Just like using the original Nox 6/800 with horseshoe mode on. I agree.