New Manticore Owner Any Tips

John, thanks for the info, I will definitely give it a read. I am hoping to get more detecting time in, now that the weather is changing. I look forward to reading about your adventures 

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to the Manticore user's manual, I got Minelab USA to print the "pdf" user's manual on paper and mail it to me.  However, one could easily "laser" print the entire manual at home, or at least as many pages as needed.

Just like CoinShooter I will have to wait until the end of May before I can use my new Manticore.  I bought it along a M8 coil from Alaska Mining & Diving in Anchorage Alaska, since they offer the Minelab 15% military discount.  While I will use the basic inland modes for a few hours, I will create and save a custom mode based on the Neil Jones "Freestyle Mode."  (Freestyle for beach, land, and so on).  I just have to see with my own eyes if that mode is as great as a lot of people are saying.

On 3/10/2024 at 6:36 AM, RayfromAK said:

I will create and save a custom mode based on the Neil Jones "Freestyle Mode."  (Freestyle for beach, land, and so on).

Never heard of it. 🤔

3 hours ago, Yatahaze323 said:

Here's the video I found of it

There is no way I could watch the whole 1/2 hour of that! I could have given those settings in 4-5 minutes. Ha! Thanks for finding it. 👍 I'm sticking with Dankowski's.

10 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

There is no way I could watch the whole 1/2 hour of that! I could have given those settings in 4-5 minutes. Ha! Thanks for finding it. 👍 I'm sticking with Dankowski's.

What's Dankowski's ferrous limits setup?  Last I remember it was something easy to program like upper limits 4 and lower limits 6 or 0.

55 minutes ago, Yatahaze323 said:

What's Dankowski's ferrous limits setup?  Last I remember it was something easy to program like upper limits 4 and lower limits 6 or 0.

Yep...upper 4, lower 0, recovery 4, all metal, prospecting audio. (for a clean salt beach)

9 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Yes, there is a lot to memorize (probably too much). However, The Neil Jones' "Freestyle Mode" for both the Equinox and the Manticore are talked about as being nothing but outstanding.  The "Freestyle" Mode setting can be used at the salt beach, and inland, including prospecting.  What I did was to search for the Neil Jones "Freestyle" Mode on printed form, and finally found it at Facebook. It is a video that scrolls slowly-where the settings are written.  All you have to do is to pause write the settings, a few times.  

These are the detecting Modes I have so far (the ones I plan to try during the summer on land only. Not beach): Neil Jones' "Freestyle" Settings, and the Tom Danakowski's Open Low Conductor Mode Settings (if I decide to beach detect, but will have to give it a try on land).

By the way, there is a Neil Jones video where he demonstrates the use cross-pattern.  The idea is for him to prove wrong the notion that the "slow swing speed" is now "dead with the Manticore.  He shows how numerous "iffy" signals aren't noticed at all or passed-by unnoticed if swinging the coil fast, then he slows down the swing speed, does a cross pinpoint, and several times digs a possibly good target out of the ground.  I will repeat: None of the target "iffy" signal is noticed by the Manticore until he slows down the swing speed.  It is an eye opener.  Just be patient and watch this video:

This are the "written" Neil Jones Freestyle settings for the Manticore. Just pause the video momentarily to give yourself time to write the instructions, and remember that there is nothing to lose by trying it in iron infested areas, although it is for you to decide 🙂

5 hours ago, RayfromAK said:

This are the "written" Neil Jones Freestyle settings for the Manticore. Just pause the video momentarily to give yourself time to write the instructions, and remember that there is nothing to lose by trying it in iron infested areas, although it is for you to decide 🙂

Thanks Ray, but I am strictly a beach hunter. Aluminum is my problem metal! Dirt diggers will appreciate you sharing these settings to try.