Newbie From Australia

grumpy

yes it is a bit rugged rrvpopeye

the chinese mined it in 1860 ,they had 3 shafts/mines there and the most profitable of them they took 1 ton of gold from it 

the mullock heaps cover roughly a area of 500 yards long and about 122 yards wide and from about 60 feet high to ground level so there is plenty of places to break a neck if one is not careful 

the gold mainly is found by raking the mullock heaps and detecting (mainly speccies)

when i went there that day i took the 5000 only, and  in hind sight i should have taken the gold kruzer as well 

the 5000 was alright to use on the side of the hills but not the mullock heaps ,some of them are quite steep 

another couple of piccys of the place

20230905_084426.jpg

20230905_090106.jpg

20230905_111637.jpg

20230905_084824.jpg

that's my thinking rvpopeye gotta be a big one there somewhere

lol the ankles are doing fine mate ,it was the hips and back that done all the complaining

well i am starting to get my head around the 5000

thanks phrunt for the help with the timing charts and also to steve for his write on the use of the detector

it was just what this non electronic tech bloke needed

i have watched a few videos on it and they are changing this and changing that ,that is where i was getting confused 

but steve's write up about in laymans terms is what this bloke  needed to put me on the straight and narrow

i have not been to the gold fields yet ,but i have some very trying soils at a mates farm that i have been using my test pieces at ,i have found flour gold in the pan in the creeks there but nothing else (the area is only known for very fine flour gold )

the ground varies from extreme iron stone(pebbles) to yellow clay with just about everything thrown in between

i am using the method that steve mentioned ( leave the settings alone )

i have been running it in factory presets with the 11" mono coil supplied 

what i have ben doing is in each area the soil conditions change i bury my test pieces at the same depth and use the different timings at each area and noting what the changes are in the area 

there is a pattern forming with the timing changes as phrunt and steve explained 

the only time i change any settings is when i have a practice run with the nugget finder sadie coil 

i was giving some settings for the sadie coil from a full time prospector i know 

and the only thing i change with those setting is the starting point for the timings for different areas 

know i understand what he was saying once the setting were put in for the sadie coil LEAVE THE BLOODY SETTINGS ALONE 

thanks guys for your help 

cheers 

grumpy

• 3 weeks later...