Latest Deus 1 Improvements?

I landed here looking for any improvements that have been made to the Deus I since the advent and release of the Deus II.

For small gold in the ground the Deus I with its HF coils hits small gold better than the Deus II.

So now we're stuck because we want the small gold sensitivity of the Deus I with all of the new improvements of the Deus II.

I have a Garrett GM 24K... so why do I think need another small gold vlf?  Well at 48 kHz the 24K is gona struggle in hot soil... where a multi-frequency can be adjusted lower to

a). Hit larger gold deeper.

b). Operate in hotter soil conditions.

I can (if the gold is large enough) break out my TDI SL and see what I can hit or the DFX or MXT.  I still have a gap in the vlf frequencies between 19 kHz (GB Pro) and 48 kHz that I would to someday like to cover. 

Even though the future is pulse induction detectors that can hit a wide range of gold targets like the Axium and the 6,000 all backed up by a Goldmaster 24K or GoldMonster on micro gold I could see myself owning a 900 someday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gold Dust Ernie Jr said:

I can (if the gold is large enough) break out my TDI SL and see what I can hit or the DFX or MXT.  I still have a gap in the vlf frequencies between 19 kHz (GB Pro) and 48 kHz that I would to someday like to cover. 

Do you have a Deus 1? I doubt that there will be any major Deus 1 or ORX software updates in the future.

Deus 1 and the ORX in Goldfield can be set on several different frequencies depending on which coil you are using, including roughly 18 kHz, 31 kHz, 54 kHz or 81 kHz.

Deus 2 using its Mono program can be set on roughly 7, 13, 18, 24, and 40 kHz. Mono can be setup to mimic and easily compete with Deus 1/ORX Goldfield by switching it to PWM Pitch tones, lowering the disc to -6.4 and turning on the threshold tone. 

Deus 2 FMF Goldfield has the Frequency Max feature that changes the highest used frequency in its multi frequency mixture. It can be set on 40, 24 or 17 kHz.

At this point with Deus 2's coil availability, it is not quite as sensitive to really small gold using its FMF Goldfield mode as some of its competitors running at around 40 to 48 kHz. It's close though. Deus 2 using its Mono selectable single frequency mode is very competitive even with the 9" coil. If XP were to offer a smaller land based only Deus 2 coil and a higher selectable single frequency for its Mono program like the 54 and 81 kHz on Deus 1 and the ORX with the HF coils, or offer a selectable single frequency Goldfield program things would get even better for Deus 2 especially if that smaller coil also bumped up sensitivity on smaller gold using FMF Goldfield.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gold Dust Ernie Jr said:

micro gold I could see myself owning a 900 someday.

You may want to take a closer look at the Eqx900 reviews. Mine 900 & CT 10x5 are collecting dust waiting for a software update. The XP Deus with a HF coil may not need improvement.

• Thanks 1

No I don't, not yet... but I was thinking about getting one because of the 9 and 9.5 HF coils on small gold. (and even small gold jewelry((tot lot gold)).

My belief was the Deus 2 held better performance in hotter soil and if I had to pick between the two detectors (which fortunately I don't)... the ability to operate in hotter soil on the D2 is a huge tipping factor.

I was hopping maybe the Deus 1 had been updated and improved to operate in hotter soils. (Even though that's probably not even possible or realistic). 

If I were in Austrailia... I would just get laughed at for thinking a 40-48 kHz vlf was gona one up everybody out in the goldfields, but I'm after gold in the United States... that I can catch in my drywasher, or sluice boxes or highbanker and when I'm not in the goldfield, then I'm after gold and silver in anyplace I think I can get permission to hunt.

After reading your comment... (which is greatly appreciated by the way... as are all your comments!) I'm gona re-focus my attention on the D2 for now.  For me... it's never about which metal detector am I gona get. 

It's always about which one am I gona get next and I can see owning every XP that comes down the pipe including all of their gold pans.

I think with any of the high frequency VLF's they're so close it's more a choice of which you prefer for whatever reason, thinking one is going to be significantly better than others is asking far too much, so buying another one when you already have one isn't necessary or beneficial.

With the Algoforce PI now on the market for similar pricing to the high-end VLF's, once that hits the US market it might be a better choice for these hotter soils you're talking about than buying another VLF.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gold Dust Ernie Jr said:

No I don't, not yet... but I was thinking about getting one because of the 9 and 9.5 HF coils on small gold. (and even small gold jewelry((tot lot gold)).

My belief was the Deus 2 held better performance in hotter soil and if I had to pick between the two detectors (which fortunately I don't)... the ability to operate in hotter soil on the D2 is a huge tipping factor.

I was hopping maybe the Deus 1 had been updated and improved to operate in hotter soils. (Even though that's probably not even possible or realistic). 

If I were in Austrailia... I would just get laughed at for thinking a 40-48 kHz vlf was gona one up everybody out in the goldfields, but I'm after gold in the United States... that I can catch in my drywasher, or sluice boxes or highbanker and when I'm not in the goldfield, then I'm after gold and silver in anyplace I think I can get permission to hunt.

After reading your comment... (which is greatly appreciated by the way... as are all your comments!) I'm gona re-focus my attention on the D2 for now.  For me... it's never about which metal detector am I gona get. 

It's always about which one am I gona get next and I can see owning every XP that comes down the pipe including all of their gold pans.

For just gold prospecting, I would pick the ORX with HF elliptical coil over a Deus 1. Both do very well in hotter soil by the way as long as the targets aren't very deep.

If you want gold prospecting capabilities, better hot soil performance, an excellent jewelry detector and coins and relics too, Deus 2, the Manticore and the Legend are great options.

For me so far, Deus 2 is the best for really iron trashed sites, does very well for coins, jewelry and relics and works fine for gold prospecting.

The Manticore is really hot for small gold nugget prospecting and is very good for everything else too. It still falses too much on iron for me to say it can outperform a Deus 2 in thick iron.

The Nokta Legend is just a versatile, do everything very well detector at a great price. Nokta did a great job of analyzing what the Equinox 800 was capable of and matched or bettered it with their Legend but without 600/800's waterproofing and build quality issues. 

I also wouldn't hesitate to buy an Equinox 900 if I was mostly using it for beach hunting and gold prospecting. I just don't care for that detector much for coin, jewelry or relic hunting. It is just too unstable as far as target ID accuracy on land and falses even more than the 800 in thick iron trash.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

For just gold prospecting, I would pick the ORX with HF elliptical coil over a Deus 1. Both do very well in hotter soil by the way as long as the targets aren't very deep.

Is that based upon price or some sort of performance thing? 

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Is that based upon price or some sort of performance thing? 

The ORX in its 2 Gold programs using Disc IAR has an iron volume On/Off setting so those prospecting modes have 1 or 2 tone VCO capabilities that the user can control somewhat. Also, the HF coils are totally compatible with the ORX since they were designed for its predecessor (Depar). They are only partially compatible with Deus 1 as far as ID normalization, etc.

Deus 1 from my memory, does not have an iron volume On/Off or 0 to 5 setting in Goldfield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Deus 1 from my memory, does not have an iron volume On/Off or 0 to 5 setting in Goldfield.

Maybe there is room for XP Deus improvement, the reactivity expert setting silencer is also not available with the XP Deus Goldfield mode

1 hour ago, HardPack said:

Maybe there is room for XP Deus improvement, the reactivity expert setting silencer is also not available with the XP Deus Goldfield mode

The silencer setting doesn't apply to Goldfield as it uses IAR to reject iron vs. discrimination.  Silencer is an iron bias setting on top of discrimination in those modes that use discrimination, so there is no way to "improve" it.  This applies to Deus 2 as well.  Silencer, bottle cap, and tone ID are simply absent from Goldfield to enable focus on small signal response without additional filters.  It works quite well and they expanded it for use in relic detecting on Deus 2 with the Relic Program.  It's my main search program and I have had a lot of success with it.  If I need silencer or bottlecap filters, I'll switch to the programs that can accommodate those filters.

• Like 1