Manticore Tone Setting Question

There are two ways to set region tones: one is one tone per ID region, the other - the ability to have lower and upper frequency points that allow an increasing, a fixed, or decreasing frequency ID response. Maybe I’m missing something - if you fix end points to the same tone aren’t the two tone modes identical?  If so, why not just have one option with the variable endpoints and that’s it?

I think you are right, it can be done with just the start and end points. 

A couple configurations I have tried to quiet what I didn't want to hear. 

Its possible this looks crazy as far volumes, I'm using a BT transmitter and ear buds and even at the low volumes I hear the low tones, not sure if the regular headphones would be the same.   

PXL_20240103_013418731.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.12909cae050ccc4a1a4d82763c2724e4.jpgPXL_20231027_030848788.thumb.jpg.6cc647b088a2a3af00c074b5833462cf.jpg

10 hours ago, bklein said:

There are two ways to set region tones: one is one tone per ID region, the other - the ability to have lower and upper frequency points that allow an increasing, a fixed, or decreasing frequency ID response. Maybe I’m missing something - if you fix end points to the same tone aren’t the two tone modes identical?  If so, why not just have one option with the variable endpoints and that’s it?

I have not yet had a chance to set up the audio profiles properly, especially since I have only tried the Manticore and just sold a D2.
But as a long-time user of Ctx I can think of it as having created this mode to blur the tones.
Let me explain, someone calls on the D2 tone's "nuances" that allow you to recognize a clear signal from a partial one that responds abnormally due to an irregular shape or bad placement in the ground.
With a sharp tone for each bin, surely it is easier to distinguish a signal worth to dig, but without this detail of finesse.
Another example of differentiation hides in the 50 tones or I suppose in the 99 tones.
In this case, however, an unstable ID will obviously sound multiple and variable in pitch tone.
Here, in this mode, I would only and only dig a unique and distinct tone....

I am not questioning the ability - I am questioning having the complexity of two modes of operation per #tones when one of the modes can do it all. In fact, in 5 tone mode you should be able to duplicate the lesser tone modes as well by bringing end points together. Minelab is making things more complex than they need to be.

I’m a long time CTX user too and am constantly annoyed by the unfortunate menu design for volume and sensitivity. Wish they would come out with a firmware upgrade to clean that up.  

Menu design is not rocket science to implement but pretty important.

I wish I could set a steep angle in the start and end point in each range, that would translate to any signal that only varied a little bit in ID numbers would have a near consistent tone and using conventional wisdom you could tell without looking if you had a good target, especially if you have notched out "bad" IDs.  I am pretty sure I can't make this work with the Manticore. 

I've only ever really run my Manticore in 1 Region All Tones.  Since my Whites XLT, I've just always ran everything in all the tones it can give and like it that way.

I can quite easily "hear" all common US clad without looking.  Even nickels amongst pull tabs.  I think it's just hours on the machine.  It's certainly not my hearing ability.  My hearing is very poor.  Too much gunfire for too many years, too much loud music for too many years, too much loud equipment for too many years. 

I can't hear for crap...  But I can "notice" clear round tones without looking on the Manticore and recognize the common clad signals.  Especially zincs.  I hear zincs in bad dreams.  My least favorite sound I think.  After a rod knock maybe.

- Dave

How does gold sound for you? To me all the sounds are pretty bland. The CTX makes gold and nickels sound sweet!  Need that, maybe a tone waveform option per region?

I haven't found much gold with the Manticore yet.  Three rings, and one small charm (today, in fact...).  Just sounds round and clean is about all I can say.  I thought all of the rings were going to be nickels.  I thought the little charm today was going to be a small piece of junk jewelry at a steady 16.

- Dave

15 hours ago, bklein said:

How does gold sound for you? To me all the sounds are pretty bland. The CTX makes gold and nickels sound sweet!  Need that, maybe a tone waveform option per region?

I would love to have the Manticore under hand but unfortunately I am 400 kilometers away from the base.
I don't remember exactly the peak frequency of the tone on the Ctx but I remember getting a very good sound on the 360Hz.
With the yellow Koss at least, that peak resonates loud and clear and helps me distinguish low conductors...Only two tones for me anyway.
I hope to get the same sound back on the Manticore.