As a brand new user, I recently searched and learned the most before to have in my hands the "beast".

So this subject on the Manticore caught my attention reading somewhere on the web that using way less sensitivity than the possible amount can give better results.

With the premise that I own a Ctx too, in my mind I had a rough idea of what to expect in terms of "reaction" by the machine.

Really happy to put the M8 under test for an hour, I've immediately understood the meaning of "less is more".

Apparently, I'd say, I perceive the Manti's behaviour like the Ctx, but with a third of sensitivity level🤔.

I'm not complaining about anything but I noticed an extreme side sensitivity to targets with both the M8 and M11.

A real large footprint sorrounds the coil even at a modest levels of 12 or 16 points and this can be useful like detrimental at the same time by the way...It all depends by the environment you're searching in.

Not yet used the machine on the bottom but can't wait for the monday's session to try what the M8 can provide between rocks...

Funny, Andy Benson and I were just talking about this yesterday.

Since day one I have repeatedly said that with the Manticore, less is more. I don't pound my chest over being an original prototype tester on the machine but I was running this detector way before any of you ever heard of it. I tried to pass the knowledge won there on to early users who kept having difficulty with the detector. In every case the main problem in my opinion has been running settings higher than would be ideal. From this thread in 2023:

"Basically Manticore is a high strung Equinox with a graphic display and main way to tame the beast is reduced sensitivity until you get a handle on its high performance engine. This would be directly via the Sensitivity control, or through the use of lower power modes, or both together."

and

"I can only repeat so many times that the Manticore at 1/2 to 3/4 settings is like a maxed out Equinox. The Manticore has extra headroom, but only for locations and situations that allow it. Anyone with a mindset that they can drive a Ferrarri with the pedal mashed to the floor anywhere all the time is going to crash and burn with Manticore. It is imperative that people back it down and then work their way up. Again, target ID stability is a great tool for determining when you have good settings, and above that, well, yeah, it's going to get squirrely."

Getting more depth by using lower power modes and reducing sensitivity may seem counterintuitive but it is a reality when running in bad ground. The main benefit will be better target id stability and less false signals. When I say lower power modes I am referring specifically to ATHC as being the root cause of many problems. ATHC boosts the transmit power, which can create blowback in adverse conditions. This can result in less depth, target id instability, false signals, especially ferrous false signals, and reduced target separation.

Long story short is people tend to think that maxing out settings gets more depth, reducing settings gets less depth. This might be true in air tests and pure white sand or loamy conditions. Adverse ground and salt conditions changes everything and taming the beast by avoiding ATHC and running lower sensitivity levels will benefit many users. The use of small coils like the 5x8 can also really aid in the worst ground by reducing the amount of ground seen by the coil, which improves the ground to target ratio in favor of the target. Very often, less really is more.

IMG_4554.jpeg

I literally don't even try to use ATHC since I can only run it at about 14 sensitivity before it goes nuts.

I can run ATGeneral between 20 and 24 sensitivity with no major issues even on badly mineralized ground and still get great depth and fairly solid target IDs.

Prospecting mode I can run between sensitivity 18 and 20.

I have never used my Manticore at a saltwater beach or in saltwater so I have no clue how any of this applies to Skull diver.

6 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I literally don't even try to use ATHC since I can only run it at about 14 sensitivity before it goes nuts.

I can run ATGeneral between 20 and 24 sensitivity with no major issues even on badly mineralized ground and still get great depth and fairly solid target IDs.

Prospecting mode I can run between sensitivity 18 and 20.

I have never used my Manticore at a saltwater beach or in saltwater so I have no clue how any of this applies to Skull diver.

The air test I've done this morning was with Beach LC and prospecting audio adding some threshold cause it reminds me a lot the Tdi behaviour.

Anyway considered the really aggressive reaction to the thinnest of small silver ring (0.37g), will be a challege to obtain the same miracle submerged...

Depth audio will do for sure better against moving saltwater.... Honestly, as for now I'm pleasantly surprised even cause I managed to lower separation up to 2...The air however is nothing...

Yup, less is more.   When I first got the Manti I would run as close to max power at club hunts.  A few people would complain that they couldn't get within 50 ft. of me before their machines would pick up the Manti.   

I've since toned things down.  Depending on soil conditions I run between 4 and 14 sensitivity and 4 recovery.   Yesterday I dug a copper penny at 10".  Sensitivity was 8 or 10.  (I was hoping for a silver dime)

It is a great machine, and I find myself going back to parks that have been hunted out.  And occasionally I am recovering a wee bit of gold that has been missed.