New Manticore Defective Out Of Box

Well, just the 11" coil but if that's all I had I'd be seriously irritated. As it is the reason I got the detector was the 5x8 coil finally being available, so I got both at the same time. The 11" coil worked for two seconds, then gave a Coil Disconnected Shutting Down error. Disconnected and reconnected several times same result. 5x8 coil works fine. Did the software update with the 5x8 coil and did a reset. 11" coil still acting like it is not connected, 5x8 coil working fine. Probably a bad chip in the coil. Luckily I had the spare coil or I'd not know if it was the coil or the detector. I just sent an email to Minelab Service 3:30pm today so I will update with how the process goes with getting the coil replaced.

Steve,

You may not need the 11 inch.  I have all three and only use the M15 or the M8.  My 11 inch just rides in the car as a backup. LOL  Used the M8 at a park on Tue.  Only my second truf hunt in almost 5 years.  The park is filled with can slaw and old nails, but I did manage a 1939 Merc and 6 wheaties.  Out of the other 10 cents, 8 were copper and only 2 zincs.  It was hitting about 5 targets or so per swing.  The M8 is legit.

Joe

I did get the machine only when the 5x8 became available as I like small coils for noodling in the trash. And with Manticore I know it will be a small coil with depth as good as some other detectors large coils. In that regard no big deal. But that does not mean I don't want the 11" coil I paid for! It will still be the coil to use in less target rich areas.

UPS just delivered my new Manticore earlier today.  Just finished charging the Detector and Headphones and everything seems to be working ok.  I have the 11 inch coil.  The software version on the machine says 6.20.0 +73 and I'm wondering if that is the most up to date version as the Minelab website says there is 6.20.0-3.71 available.  Which is correct??  Thanks 

All I know is if you run the updater, which claims to have the latest update, you end up with 6.20.0 +73

There is an older 6.16.0-3.71 in a screenshot but I’ve not seen the one you are referring to.

Got an email confirming my warranty request this morning. They could not find my registration information in their system, even though I had provided the serial number and date I registered it online (3/5/24). Process stalled until I prove I'm under warranty. Luckily I kept a copy of the email confirming my registration so have sent a copy back to them. I also pointed out the detectors have only been made for a year and the warranty is three years.

Kind of silly to have to register products if they can't find the information when you need it. So do what I did and keep copies of everything. I prefer online registrations as you get a confirmation. If you mail in the warranty card.... just cross your fingers it does not get "lost."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, just the 11" coil but if that's all I had I'd be seriously irritated. As it is the reason I got the detector was the 5x8 coil finally being available, so I got both at the same time. The 11" coil worked for two seconds, then gave a Coil Disconnected Shutting Down error. Disconnected and reconnected several times same result. 5x8 coil works fine. Did the software update with the 5x8 coil and did a reset. 11" coil still acting like it is not connected, 5x8 coil working fine. Probably a bad chip in the coil. Luckily I had the spare coil or I'd not know if it was the coil or the detector. I just sent an email to Minelab Service 3:30pm today so I will update with how the process goes with getting the coil replaced.

You'll solve the 11" bug hopefully soon, meanwhile try to put the M8 in an hard pounded place and wait for a surprise 🫢...

This happened to me again today... I'm speechless 

Screenshot_2024-04-26-14-09-45-663_com.camerasideas.instashot-edit.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah I figured a properly used 5x8 coil would be deadly on the Manticore ,which is why I refused to get one until they were available. Waited a year for something that should have been available on day one.

Steve,

If customer service keeps dragging their feet on the 11 inch coil issue, PM me your address and I will loan you my 11 inch coil.  I too keep a copy of any and all reciepts and registrations as I don't trust their cloud storage. LOL

Joe

Thanks for the offer Joe (and Hugh) but I have the 5x8 coil. It's not worth your time/money or mine to be doing any mailing back and forth. Since I consider the 5x8 to be my primary coil this is not a big deal to me, and was only documenting it all on this thread so others might learn from it.

steve-herschbach-minelab-manticore-5x8-search-coil.jpg