Need Seasoned Advice On A Conundrum

Chris Coffee

Hello again. I'm hoping that I can get some open and honest insight on a decision I am having a hard time making. And here is it:

I have a Minelab GPX 6000 with the 3 ML coils (11", 14", and 17" elliptical). I also have a stock EQ700 that's only been used twice. I have been contemplating getting either the Coiltek Goldhawk 10"x5" coil or the NuggetFinder 12"x7" Xceed coil for the 6000. My thought was initially to trade the 17" elliptical for one of them, but I'm sure there are not many folks out there looking to swing that big old thing all day. OR.. maybe trade my EQ700 for one of those 2 coils. 

For those of you that have used the 2 coils I'm contemplating, would you guys mind giving me your personal thoughts/opinions/suggestions on what you would do? Should I keep both the 17" coil and the EQ700 and just spend the money on one of the other 2 coils? Or go ahead and sell/trade for one of them? Also, please tell me your thoughts on which of the 2 coils is "best" for the 6000?

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers. 😊

• Confused 1

• The title was changed to Need Seasoned Advice On A Conundrum

Hey Chris, so I’m not really an expert at this but I can say through personal experience of having both of those coils for my 6000 that they both can equally find the same sized  tiny bits of lead at depth and I am talking small! The larger Xceed is a bit more depth sensitive and I found my first nugget with it. I do prefer the smaller Goldhawk in more rocky and brushy terrain, but the Xceed is my favorite in open terrain.  Goldhawks also have harder plastic coverings than the Xceeds, which I guess make them a bit more durable for scraping ground and bumping rocks if you aren’t using tape on the edges. I think you will do well with either coil.  As for comparing the two models, comparing the larger 14 x 9 Goldhawk to the 12 x 7 Xceed may be more equal.  I did try the 14 x 9, but then sold it after getting the Xceed. It just felt heavy and clunkier with its denser plastic and thicker coil size.   I am definitely keeping both my smaller goldhawk and my Xceed though.

But honestly, if you are saving money and can get either one for a lower price, that would be my main deciding factor because they are both good coils. Each one also has its benefits depending on where you prospect.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Hey Chris, so I’m not really an expert at this but I can say through personal experience of having both of those coils for my 6000 that they both can equally find the same sized  tiny bits of lead at depth and I am talking small! The larger Xceed is a bit more depth sensitive and I found my first nugget with it. I do prefer the smaller Goldhawk in more rocky and brushy terrain, but the Xceed is my favorite in open terrain.  Goldhawks also have harder plastic coverings than the Xceeds, which I guess make them a bit more durable for scraping ground and bumping rocks if you aren’t using tape on the edges. I think you will do well with either coil.  As for comparing the two models, comparing the larger 14 x 9 Goldhawk to the 12 x 7 Xceed may be more equal.  I did try the 14 x 9, but then sold it after getting the Xceed. It just felt heavy and clunkier with its denser plastic and thicker coil size.   I am definitely keeping both my smaller goldhawk and my Xceed though.

But honestly, if you are saving money and can get either one for a lower price, that would be my main deciding factor because they are both good coils. Each one also has its benefits depending on where you prospect.

Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated. Also, thank you for reaching out. I left you a voicemail just a few minutes ago. I don't think my name comes up on caller ID when I call out. 

14 hours ago, GR Guy said:

I’d suggest getting the 9” Goldhawk over the other two. Always good to keep a relic machine but would sell the 14 over the 17

The smaller 9” Goldhawk is a great recommendation. I feel the other way around about the stock coils though, the 11” mono is a great coil and the 14” DD is a huge benefit because it’s the only possible way to detect with the 6000 near powerlines. I have a 17” mono that I have not used yet and it would be the first to go if I sold one of my stock 6000 coils.

• Like 3

Buying a coil for the machine instead of trading for one is okay by me. I was literally GIVEN this machine for free by a fellow prospector that I know. It was free for two reasons: First, he has a very serious medical condition that keeps him from being able to physically do detecting anymore for life. Second, the machine would power on but no display on the screen and would go absolutely crazy after power-up. You could hear everything, but no display. So, he said if I was willing to pay whatever it cost to have it fixed, I could just have it since he was never going to be able to use it again anyway. I was worried at first that the unit might be a fake since he couldn't remember where the guy HE bought it from got it. But, it was free so what did i have to lose! So, I accepted and contacted Minelab and found that the machine was indeed authentic and still had warranty time left on it, though not much. So they had me send it in and got it fixed. It also needed the audio interference recall modification which they took care of as well. Getting the machine for free and Minelab fixing everything for free is the extreme generosity I spoke of in my other post. I was looking to purchase one of these until I had over $5,000 worth of personal tools stolen from my place of employment. So the money I had allocated to buy a machine had to go to replacing those tools. I'm a mechanic so told are my livelihood. So, if I have to spend a few hundred dollars on a coil, I'm good with that. 

21 hours ago, Fishing8046 said:

Chris Coffee 

I have never met you but have read your forum posts through the years. I think it was first on Rod Fitzhugh's forum.  Not knowing you personally I remember the Van you ran around in. You strike me as a very nice person and it is nice to see that God's grace does land on those who deserve it.

Thank you for the kind words,  Fishing. I always try to be kind and help whoever, whenever I can. Ohhhh, the van. The good Ole days...lol. 

• Like 1