Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Metal Detecting With A Knee Replacement?

16 minutes ago, Outback54 said:

My fears were that I might have to sell my detector.

Dang-nab it, I thought there may have been a cheap 19" coil up for sale :laugh:

Nice work old boy, very happy for you.  And good work on the nuggets too. 

Any size?  Any pics? 

Outback a question for you.

When you are bending to find the nugget which knee is closest to the coil?

I am in a situation where I will need to have both knees replaced (if I have it done at all). If you have your good knee closest to the coil, how about trying your new knee there as an experiment and let me know if you experience any issues.

Thanks, Mike

12 hours ago, Northeast said:

Dang-nab it, I thought there may have been a cheap 19" coil up for sale :laugh:

Nice work old boy, very happy for you.  And good work on the nuggets too. 

Any size?  Any pics? 

Hi Northeast,

i don't want to push my luck, the 19" might be just too much to ask of the knee, so it might very well be for sale. ?

• Like 1

Mike I tried what you suggested, and had no issues. Due to the new knee/ leg still being very stiff and a little tender I don't kneel on the ground, I remove the Bungee cord and lay the coil on the ground, than bend the old back and check the hand full of dirt that way. I had the toe of my boot touching the coil and no problem while bending over. Plus I'm only a short person and still no issues. Hope this helps?

Outback 54

• Thanks 1

Thanks Outback.

That helps allot!, I'm short myself now about 5' 5 1/2". The information you provided solves one of the issues about knee replacement that had me concerned. I'll need to have both knees replaced so once complete I won't have an original to place near the coil.

Thanks Mike

I am 83 and had both knees replaced. One at 75 and the other at 78. Was driving at 7 days for each and the only thing I can recommend is do not put it off because the sooner you do it the better you will feel. I still climb mountains and have no problems with my knees. I use an Infinium, GMT and pinpointer with no detecting problems. You must use knee pads to do any nealing, that is the only problem I have. The sooner you get rid of that pain and misery the better off you will be. 

• Like 2