Whites V3i For Prospecting ???

Dakota

11 minutes ago, Wayfarer said:

I have that little 4x6 shooter coil, and it's V-rated.  As soon as I get a chance, I will redo that comparison test between the V3i and the MXT that I did with the 6x10 but with the little shooter coil instead.  The V3i did well on tiny gold, it's just that the MXT did better.  At least with the 6x10.  Heck, with as little as you can pick up a V3i these days, if it does well with the 4x6, you might as well hunt with a V3i.  The prospecting screen info on the V3i is particularly nice to have, with the graph showing how the ground changes over time.  

If you want to try and see which one can hit the tiniest bits, set them up with the 5.3 on the MXT and set the SAT to around 2 or 3 and listen to the waver in the threshold in the prospecting mode with the Gain set as high as possible, I managed to hear a bit weighing 0.0002 ozt using those settings, I call that my GPX setting, good luck and have fun.

J.

• Like 1

Gerry hit the nail on the head. It really depends on what a person wants a detector for overall that matters. The V3i is a detector nerds dream, and it can find gold nuggets. That said I would look at it first and foremost as being a coin, jewelry, and relic detector. Nugget detecting is probably last on the list of things the V3i does well. Overall even though I have a V3i I concur with the general idea that I would rather prospect for gold with an MXT. It is just more straight forward for getting that particular task done.

The V3i really needs a ground grab button!

Tom posted the link above to my buddy Marko doing quite well with a V3i at Ganes Creek. I just happened to be there that week and he was really on a roll.

• Like 4