Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

How To Get A 7" X 10" Coil For Your Equinox

6 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

I for one will not be buying another detector just to get a desired coil. I'll go to another manufacturer for a totally different detector that has a selection of coils. Each of the Nokta/Makro detectors I have bought I ended up with 4 or 5 coils for it including the Racer, Racer 2, Impact, Multi Anfibio, and Multi Kruzer. The Nox 800 will be my only Minelab. It's kinda like buying a set of screwdrivers and it only has 3 drivers in it. What about all the situations or screws they don't fit? Would you go but another of the same manufacturer's set, or buy some other manufacturers that has a set with 10 different drivers?

The only flaw in this analogy is that unlike screw drivers with interchangeable drivers where the handles are basically similar, the detector (the screwdriver handle in your analogy) capabilities vary significantly.  I couldn't see myself getting a less capable detector model just because that detector has coil type that I cannot run on my preferred detector (though I have kept less capable detectors around because they can run concentric coils, and my primary detector can't, for example).  All things being equal though, yeah it could sway my purchase decision.  Also, while I am all for coil variety and would like to see the Vanquish coil series available for Equinox, I honestly have not found a situation where one of the three Equinox coils could not get the job done and I suppose most folks just run with stock coils anyway, so it is probably a problem only experienced detectorists care about, which is probably the minority of Equinox and Vanquish users.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

I for one will not be buying another detector just to get a desired coil.

My original post was tongue in cheek and designed to get feedback and responses that Minelab will probably see. I really don’t think Minelab has a clue how much ill will their current coil strategy generates.

• Like 4