How To Get A 7" X 10" Coil For Your Equinox

Has anyone other than maybe Steve, and Andy S., (that should be enough!!!!) approached Minelab directly ( to Mark Lawrie for instance) about adding coils to there lineup?? Or getting direct conformation why not!  I'm still relatively new to the field, but have a good deal of technical experience! It boggles my mind that any manufacturer that has had so much short term success with one product would stonewall their loyal customers in this way, and allow the opportunity for another producer to steal their thunder!! Minelab could at least put out a "press release" as to why they chose only these coil sizes!

On 10/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, Chase Goldman said:

As posted on another forum, Debbie Smikoski a USA rep for Minelab, has responded via email to an Equinox user inquiring about V8 Equinox compatibility, that the V8 will definitely not be compatible with Equinox (he only asked about the V8).  She also went so far as to say that while ML was aware of the user interest in a coil of that form factor for Equinox, there were presently no concrete plans to provide such a coil for Equinox but did not rule it out for the future.  Soo, there you have it and I guess we'll see what happens.

• Thanks 1

I will see Debbie next week at a week long relic hunt and will hopefully get the chance to strike up a conversation with her on this topic and will let you all know what she says, but I suspect it will not contradict the email referenced above, unfortunately.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

It boggles my mind that any manufacturer that has had so much short term success with one product would stonewall their loyal customers in this way, and allow the opportunity for another producer to steal their thunder!!

Like you said, you are still relatively new at this field so welcome to head scratching business decisions 101 in the world of metal detecting manufacturers.  The only one making sense lately is Nokta.

Hey Chase,

Thanks for the heads up! When you ask her, please explain we all would "wish" to see more of a coil selection!!! I get that she has heard this before! (Hint, Hint)!  But the main issue seems to be the "perception" by nearly everone that has commented about this issue, that Minelab does not "care" about the customer wants and needs! If we are incorrect in thinking this way, than it's on Minelab to correct this perception; not their customers! And put out some kind of statement to fix this perception!  I think that will go a long way into satisfying the repeated questions of their customers, and anyone looking to purchase in the future! If that makes sense!  

Thanks in advanceđź‘Ť

• Like 1

I for one will not be buying another detector just to get a desired coil. I'll go to another manufacturer for a totally different detector that has a selection of coils. Each of the Nokta/Makro detectors I have bought I ended up with 4 or 5 coils for it including the Racer, Racer 2, Impact, Multi Anfibio, and Multi Kruzer. The Nox 800 will be my only Minelab. It's kinda like buying a set of screwdrivers and it only has 3 drivers in it. What about all the situations or screws they don't fit? Would you go but another of the same manufacturer's set, or buy some other manufacturers that has a set with 10 different drivers?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

I for one will not be buying another detector just to get a desired coil. I'll go to another manufacturer for a totally different detector that has a selection of coils. Each of the Nokta/Makro detectors I have bought I ended up with 4 or 5 coils for it including the Racer, Racer 2, Impact, Multi Anfibio, and Multi Kruzer. The Nox 800 will be my only Minelab. It's kinda like buying a set of screwdrivers and it only has 3 drivers in it. What about all the situations or screws they don't fit? Would you go but another of the same manufacturer's set, or buy some other manufacturers that has a set with 10 different drivers?

The only flaw in this analogy is that unlike screw drivers with interchangeable drivers where the handles are basically similar, the detector (the screwdriver handle in your analogy) capabilities vary significantly.  I couldn't see myself getting a less capable detector model just because that detector has coil type that I cannot run on my preferred detector (though I have kept less capable detectors around because they can run concentric coils, and my primary detector can't, for example).  All things being equal though, yeah it could sway my purchase decision.  Also, while I am all for coil variety and would like to see the Vanquish coil series available for Equinox, I honestly have not found a situation where one of the three Equinox coils could not get the job done and I suppose most folks just run with stock coils anyway, so it is probably a problem only experienced detectorists care about, which is probably the minority of Equinox and Vanquish users.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

I for one will not be buying another detector just to get a desired coil.

My original post was tongue in cheek and designed to get feedback and responses that Minelab will probably see. I really don’t think Minelab has a clue how much ill will their current coil strategy generates.

• Like 4