Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Attempted Treasure Coast Hunt!

Joe D.

• The title was changed to Attempted Treasure Coast Hunt!

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Hello all,

We have been having some major surf from a hurricane spinning out in the Atlantic near Bermuda, as well as the time of year that we get King Tides! Depending on the wind direction, this can be a really productive time to beach hunt! Unfortunately the wind has been blowing directly on shore, which only makes for a wide flat beach, and few targets!

I made the trek to Vero beach yesterday, as well as many other detectorists, to try and get an elusive piece of 1715 Wreck Treasure! There are a lot of locals who work these beaches, and have a tremendous advantage! For me, it's about an hour and a half drive North! So unfortunately, i don't get to do it often!

The tide was already incoming when the park gate's opened, and with the short beach's, did not allow for much time to detect! Not that it mattered, there were few to no targets to be had! Sand was being pulled out by the strong high tides, but was being deposited as a secondary break for the waves, which was killing any more good erosion! The few guy's i talked to were just as aware of the poor condition of the beaches, but said it was good practice! Everyone just wants to get out and detect, after all this time indoors, from the heat, and pandemic!

I did find some interesting iron targets on the intercoastal side of one beach, but i don't think they are super old! Picked them up anyway, so i wouldn't be skunked! But the weather was beautiful, and not as humid, for once in about 8 months! Great way to start Fall here!

Hopefully a few "Winter" storms this season will give us Florida boy's and girl's, and any of you visiting, a chance for some "Reale" Treasure!! ???

20200923_094641.jpg

20200923_094726.jpg

20200923_094939.jpg

20200923_095126.jpg

20200923_100322.jpg

I think that it's great that anyone can hunt where there is the possibility of finding real Spanish treasure. It seems that it's just a matter of being there at the right time. I can't tell how big those pieces are but the one item looks like an old  clothes iron.

• Like 2

Joe D

Thanks for all the pictures. Like Mel Fisher he started the day always with a positive note . I too do the same bye saying this day is the day.

Texas has a treasure coast and all know the location of the ships. The only little problem we have on getting to it is it’s a National Sea Shore now. If they catch you detecting there they don’t put you in jail they put you under the jail.

I told my wife about the time I need to be put in a Rest home drag me off down there with a metal detector in hand. This way I’ll have a place to stay and she won’t have to pay for it.

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Compass,

That piece is smaller than an old iron, and seems like a base for something, like a jack stand! The three other's are the size of small pears! And have a half inch hole thru the center! Those may have been on top of a rod or something, hard to tell due to the corrosion! But their shape was unusual! ??

• Thanks 1

RR,

We have that problem at Cape Canaveral, being a National Seashore! With the added problem of being a high security zone! I guess that's why they allow the North End to be a nudist beach! Security know's that those individuals aren't concealing any weapons!!???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Joe

It wouldn’t take me long to work around that little problem. Those sandals on my feet would be coils and that look alike radio is my detector.

They be pointing at me laughing and not even notice what I have hanging around my neck . I’m not at my best without clothing.

Chuck 

• Haha 6

Great idea,

You design and demo! I'll market!???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Could give a whole other meaning to Double D detecting!??

• Haha 2