Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Excalibur 1000 Advice

1 hour ago, Flydog said:

OK, my turn for a stupid question.  Why did you choose un-shielded vs shielded? No option to ground the shield at the control box end?

That's a fair question . Simple, stock is not shielded so I went with as close as I could to it .. 0.25 dia was important also. The Excalibur is very stable in saltwater so not much need, unless the water is rough as Bricks....but I am older and do choice the calmer days so no problems.  EMI,... for all of my hunting the machine is submerged, never a issue. 

One could go with a shielded cable if they wanted, just run the shielding thru the heyco to endcap, thru the epoxy and ground it to the board. Also the heyco fitting that is used, 3240? is limited to the size of 0.26. 

Something I have talked about, the excalibur has SS knob shafts (Pictured) , I was thinking of changing them out using some type of plastic, which I can make since I have a lathe.  I've tried different shielding over the years, even to the control pod.. No benefit as far as I could see.

Forgot this, Now for a super silent hunting in rough waters.... Years ago I ran the control pod in my drysuit. Removing the pod from the saltwater... Crystal Clear audio

DSC_6979.jpg

SNAG-0004 (4).jpg

Replacing Dryrot top o-ring.jpg

DSC_9449.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:20 PM, stevejhgla said:

Hey I'm looking for some advice from excalibur owners on how to proceed here. 

I picked this up for $150, the knobs and lower shaft were broken. I ordered and installed anderson knobs which seem like they are going to work great.  The dive shaft is on it right now but I'll get a new shaft here soon.

The most obvious fix I need help with is the wires. 

The battery seems to be working fine for now, we will see once I get out on the beach. 

All of the connections look in good shape too.  

Let me know what yall think I should do to get this puppy back up to par.

Checking in to see your progress...

Me...... Building a excalibur since I am unable to get out. 

Something I have talked about for some time, changing the pod around and eliminating most of the controls. Also made a couple 3s Li-ion batteries for it..12.6 volts.

20210622_234557.jpg

20210616_202142_HDR.jpg

Inked20210617_192250_HDR - Copy_LI.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Checking in to see your progress...

Thanks, I've not gotten far, been busy at work and lazy when I get home.  Just took the knobs off and the o-rings look pretty good. I'll lube them up..

They all look like the one in the picture. 

Do you think I should replace them anyways?

I just ordered the coil and headphone cable, they should be here on friday.

20210623_203812.jpg

On 6/23/2021 at 9:55 PM, stevejhgla said:

Great job on treasure talk the other night!

Thanks You! Replacing is not to hard, they don't look bad (O-ring) but maybe in the near future? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevejhgla said:

Hey obn,

Does this twist out? 

The cable came today ?

Edit: never mind, leaving it in. 

It stays in, you need to cut the top off of the heyco pigtail (you took off) and screw it back on so when the epoxy is poured in, the heyco acts as a anchor to hold all in place. That make sense? 

Inked20210109_142547_LI.jpg

• Like 1