XP Deus 2 Tested On Various Size Gold Nuggets

abenson

Here is a video testing the XP Deus 2 on various size gold nuggets. Keep in mind this is an 11" coil so it could do better with the 9" but I don't have one yet, I used the Gold field program and sensitive for those that wanted to see it. I'll post another video on the comparisons forum with the Deus 2 up against the Deus 1 and Equinox 800 when I get it finished up.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to not only test, but also film your experiences swinging over some gold nuggets in that mineralized dirt, and sharing it with us.  :biggrin:

Thanks for the video, it's hard for me to understand that as the soil conditions you're in a likely quite different to mine but even still the performance looked lackluster overall, the little fella that wasn't even buried is all I really had to go by and results there were very disappointing.    The next video with the comparison might be more telling, thanks again for taking the time to do these videos.

34 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks for the video, it's hard for me to understand that as the soil conditions you're in a likely quite different to mine but even still the performance looked lackluster overall, the little fella that wasn't even buried is all I really had to go by and results there were very disappointing.    The next video with the comparison might be more telling, thanks again for taking the time to do these videos.

IMO the Deus has never been known as a small nugget detector. Me and most of the people I know that used the ORX and Deus 1 for nugget hunting considered it about a .25 or .30 gram and bigger nugget hunter. It never did that well on the really small stuff and looks like that has carried over to the Deus 2. That may change with a 9" coil but I can't imagine it making a huge difference.

So I guess there are 2 trains of thought on what I said above. Do you want to skip the small stuff and go for the bigger nuggets as they add up faster. Or do you want to dig everything? For me it depends on the time I have available and whether or not I'm finding bigger nuggets at the site. Sometimes I'm happy just finding anything. Like this last trip, I would have been happy with small specs since it was so tough to find anything at all.

Thanks for the clarification, for me the benefits of using a VLF are getting the tiniest bits, if I want to ignore the tiniest bits and target the bigger deeper stuff that's where the GPX 5000 would come into the game. 

Your videos are the most helpful so far in my decision to get a Deus 2, so thanks again for doing them.

Thank for your gold nugget testing video.

The Gold Field testing was basically what I expected. 

For any Deus 2 discrimination mode whether an FMF or Deus 2 Mono, you may need to either turn iron audio volume up a lot and/or lower the discrimination setting to 0 or below to hit the smaller gold targets in that kind of mineralization with a clear tone even if it is an iron tone.

Even though I've just seen this one video/test of detecting gold nuggets with the Deus 2, it seems clear enough the highly mineralized ground makes it difficult for the D2.  Granted, this is using the 11inch coil, so it stands to reason, smaller nuggets would not respond as well as they might to a smaller coil.

In my highly mineralized soil where I nugget-hunt, I will grab my PI machines 98% of the time for detecting.  The times I've tested vlfs, including my Equinox 800, the bad ground, hot rocks and less than stellar depth get me to put it away after a short hunt window in favor of using my GPX the rest of the day. 

It looks like the Deus 2 for me would be primarily a coin detector, and I might even take it looking for coins and jewelry in water.  The light weight and ergonomics would possibly give it a chance to be a backup unit gold prospecting since it looks to be quite packable and light for hiking into remote spots I go detecting nuggets.  I don't mind losing out on micro gold, so there might be some value for me using a D2 when going after gold from .1-.2 grams and larger.   

5 minutes ago, Calmark said:

Even though I've just seen this one video/test of detecting gold nuggets with the Deus 2, it seems clear enough the highly mineralized ground makes it difficult for the D2.  Granted, this is using the 11inch coil, so it stands to reason, smaller nuggets would not respond as well as they might to a smaller coil.

In my highly mineralized soil where I nugget-hunt, I will grab my PI machines 98% of the time for detecting.  The times I've tested vlfs, including my Equinox 800, the bad ground, hot rocks and less than stellar depth get me to put it away after a short hunt window in favor of using my GPX the rest of the day. 

It looks like the Deus 2 for me would be primarily a coin detector, and I might even take it looking for coins and jewelry in water.  The light weight and ergonomics would possibly give it a chance to be a backup unit gold prospecting since it looks to be quite packable and light for hiking into remote spots I go detecting nuggets.  I don't mind losing out on micro gold, so there might be some value for me using a D2 when going after gold from .1-.2 grams and larger.   

I couldn't agree with you more on what you've just said. I'm certainly not going to defend the Deus 2 in this case. It's has acceptable performance and will do better than some gold detectors. But small gold certainly isn't it's strong point. 

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing!