Just Some Observations Of First Time Out With The D2 After Having A D1

martygene

Got out a little for the first time with the D2. I'm very happy with the big reduction in chatter over the D1. It was a real pleasure to not have to try to hear good target sounds over the squeaking of porpoises...   That flickering screen is a PITA. Hear a target, look at the screen for TID and it is gone and I have to keep sweeping to see it again. Really slows things down and I HOPE XP will do something about that. Had trouble finding things in the menus that I wanted to know what each program was set at. That is going to take some time for me to remember. It seemed that the menu on the D1 was easier to navigate. I wonder if one of you guys more versed in charts and stuff to see if anyone could make out a "schematic" tree. It would be easier for me to visualize the menu structure. I played around all sorts of settings to see how they work. I'm glad that the stock programs revert back to original settings when the machine is shut down, LOL. I never used the XY screen on the D1 but watching some of the videos I gave it a try, It did a great job of telling ferrous from non at least and I think it will help me not dig as many good sounding targets as before. Can slaw and foil still comes up as non so trying to learn if the signal is aluminum or other desirable targets will be a learning curve.   Anyone know the purpose of the Fast 40? It looks like it uses a single freq (40 dah) but what's it's set up to do? Anyway, enough for now. I'm sure that I'll have more observations as I use it more. And I'll probably get some great ideas from y'all on my post. 

3 hours ago, martygene said:

... Had trouble finding things in the menus that I wanted to know what each program was set at. That is going to take some time for me to remember. It seemed that the menu on the D1 was easier to navigate. I wonder if one of you guys more versed in charts and stuff to see if anyone could make out a "schematic" tree. It would be easier for me to visualize the menu structure. I played around all sorts of settings to see how they work....

I agree the D2 RC navigation is sometimes tricky. For example there are some audio parameters in the OPTIONS item , and the others are in the MENU item .

For example if you want to change from 3 to 5 tones and from PWM to SQUARE as I do ,  you have to first do MENU DISC EXPERT for changing the tones , go back to the detection screen, then OPTION SELECT TYPE_AUDIO to change to SQUARE.

It is a little confusing it would have been much simpler to have all the audio options under a single menu ...

Not a major issue for me , I am used to this now and I will save my programs when I am a little more experienced with the detector then no need to navigate anymore ...

I found the deus menu easier to…let me say “interpret” than the nox menu.  Why?   Because it actually tells you what you’re changing.  I always had trouble with those symbols on the nox.  Lol.  The D2 spells it out for you in words.