Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Anyone Using Artificial Intelligence With Their Gold Detectors?

9 minutes ago, Ben201000 said:

Hi Chase,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you see any useful scenarios in being able to train between two samples of anything while in the field?

I was still editing my post when you replied.  See above where I think a marrying of AI, AR and other emerging technologies could be of use to detectorists.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clay Diggins said:

First off a pet peeve- AI since 2015? Nothing like changing the definition to achieve the goal. You certainly mean neural network Weak AI? Alan Turing is rolling over in his grave. :smile:

Real Artificial Intelligence doesn't exist - it's only hypothetical at this point. Real Artificial Intelligence wouldn't require humans feeding training data to a program. What the public is led to believe is that intelligent Strong AI exists then they are offered Weak AI as proof of concept. We were employing Weak AI back in the late 1970's at TI - nothing new but the name.

Hi Clay,

Thank you for such an in-depth reply. I completely agree, AI is a buzzword and I didn't mean to imply any true intelligence. By 2015 I mean the rise of deep neural networks and things like cat breed classification from images, and Dall E, GTP 3 etc. 

To answer your question the "AI" you are referring to is used in several metal detectors today. You can start with automatic ground balance. Signal acquisition and processing is where most of the development is centered today. GiGo applies to metal detectors just like every other real world system and there is a huge amount of garbage in these signals.

Is automatic ground balance something that is already 'solved' or would this be a useful application? 

The best we can do now as programmers now is sit back and let the engineers discover a working physical system to get the data that will allow true metallic discrimination.

By this do you mean a physical system as in some kind of laser or radar etc rather than an algorithm?

I've replied a longer post to another member. I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Thank you ? 

17 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I think where AI and AR would be most useful as an adjunct to detecting is by mapping out ground coverage of the detectorists coil.

Doesn't the GPZ7000 do something like this (using its built-in GPS)?

Do people really want to be told the reason they found a good target with a brand new detector in a site they had previously detected was due to never having gotten the previous coil(+detector) over it in the first place?  ?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The problem to be solved is accurately tracking the coil as it is swung through the site.  GPS does not cut it from a precision standpoint, but use of a stationary drone that is tracking and tracing the coil may be just the ticket.

Thank you for the insight. Initially I can't think of any solution to this but I really like your thinking. I'll have a ponder and see if anything comes to mind. I imagine the surveying industry will be the first to solve some precise gps that can get down to consumer cost. They have a lot of really interesting things with lidar and AI but I haven't seen anything around gps. I'm sure other members on this forum have a lot more knowledge than me around it.

Once the accurate gps is solved and smart glasses become common I'm sure combining them wouldn't be impossible.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

This paragraph seems to contradict itself.  "...Not a huge amount of training data is needed."  Then the next sentence:  "...over millions of iterations it starts to learn."  (emphasis mine)

Thanks for your reply ? 

I had worded the sentence badly. It goes through the set amount of data millions of times.

I'll check out the detector with the GPS that you mentioned in your last post.

18 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

You should buy a metal detector and join us.   

All I want to see/experience/hear is the object's density as compared to a standard, with an audio output that tells me how close the signal response is to the standard.

Hi Mike,

Thanks! I potentially will end up doing so. 

It sounds like detectors can already tell you the density compared to a set standard, or is this not the case?

Hi Jasong,

Thank you for your post, it's got a lot of really good insight. 

What are your thoughts on the longer post I made about training an AI at each specific site? 

I also love Alpha Zero! It's so exciting the things that are being made ? 

1 hour ago, Ben201000 said:

I imagine the surveying industry will be the first to solve some precise gps that can get down to consumer cost.

To do this accurately you need to move away from GPS as it can only be accurate at best to within 6 feet.  Fractions of an inch matter in coil coverage.  I'm thinking a portable local solution.  Perhaps consisting of laser tracking of a coil target monitored and recorded with precise positioning data coupled/integrated with visual information using a drone or drones hovering over the search area.  Think golf ball flight tracking and virtual first down marker lines across the video display of a football field.

• Like 3