Zinc Penny And Pull Tab Vid

strick

4 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Interesting. This data is quite a bit different than what I've been seeing at the beaches using Beach Modes. I came across this older December thread because strick posted a link in the "zinc pennies vs. gold rings" thread.

My crusty zincs and even fresh zincs have been around 80% 59-63. Some stray into the 70's, but not that many at all. Pull tabs can vary a bit more depending on the style tab, but I would say 80% have been 29-33. This is a much more condensed VID range than what strick is seeing. Much easier for me to call a zinc or pull tab before I dig it than what is shown in the graphs above. I can also pretty much call a dime or quarter nearly every time before digging. A dime is around 79-82 and a quarter 89-91. Nickels are almost always 25-27.

I wonder if Beach modes (I use beach low conductors and surf and seawater only) are that much better at identifying targets or if it's just because of the hotter ground conditions strick has and not so much the search modes we are using?

some probably due to the program I was using all terrain general most of the time and these were air tests after the targets were dug. .....zinc pennies don't live too long in a salt water environment so I'd guess that the ones I'm digging in the dirt are a little more degraded...the dirt I hunt will bring the numbers down and you are hunting in clean sand there in the gulf? 

strick 

2 hours ago, strick said:

you are hunting in clean sand there in the gulf? 

Yes, clean white sand. I find most of my coins while hunting the sand in the morning while it's too dark to get in the water. Most are encrusted with sand and quite degraded unless they are fresh drops close to the surface.

If I had to deal with the variations of your air test results, I'm sure it would be a lot tougher to determine what's under the coil before you dig. I haven't tried dirt digging yet, so I'm not familiar with the other program search modes.