Zinc Penny And Pull Tab Vid

strick

10 minutes ago, jasong said:

Here's most of your data combined Strick, I left out bent, tail, platinum, bracelet just to reduce clutter a bit.

image.png.a981230e33244e4134dce4c84fadbea1.png

Looks like if one had to be really selective and wanted to miss some nice and larger gold rings they could eliminate a lot of trash by digging like 32 VDI and under but will miss some nice larger rings? Or 20-25 VDI and under if they really, really, really wanted to be selective and not put many holes in the ground and miss like 30-50% of the gold rings?

I know you hardcore jewelry hunters here would never consider doing that. But interesting data to me, if I really just want to do some ultra cherry picking in places people don't want to see me digging all over the place. 

Once winter ends for me, I plan on trying something similar. I thought about it a while ago, but never tried it. Given what Strick posted, and how you plotted Strick's info, gave me even more incentive to try it. More specifically, I plan on going into a trashy park and just digging the ID's between nonferrous (or slightly above) and square pulltabs.

2 hours ago, jasong said:

I guess the key is knowing how the specific types of ground we hunt in change these VID's. Does it shift everything evenly? Or does it change some VID's more/less than others? Luckily for me in town here, it's all ultra mild clay and clean quartz sand.

Down here the ground is not that hot the ID's are maybe one or two points away from the air tests it seems and it's an even shift for everything. I have a hard time passing up targets  if they have a good stable ID then I dig it. But yea one could concentrate on targets 30 and under and get those small gold rings and also fill your pouch with foil lol. Your gonna want to dig those zinc penny numbers if they are not too jumpy...esp if you are water hunting. Thanks again for doing the graph 👍

strick 

Any chance you got a grip of square nails hanging out somewhere? 😄

Wow this is a huge stretching of the VID range on the E Nox. It appears that 12 to about 23 Nox VID is now 26 to 60 on the Manticore ?  That is 12 segments to 34. 

To me this explains why this area is compressed on the the Nox, with these four types of targets each having such a wide range there is/was no easy discrimination win.

I guess this lets you adjust better for each particular site. 

I wish they could underline the VID some color for aluminum.

image.png.fa7dfd46750acb86819c65290b0f8056.png

12 hours ago, jasong said:

Here's most of your data combined Strick, I left out bent, tail, platinum, bracelet just to reduce clutter a bit.

image.png.a981230e33244e4134dce4c84fadbea1.png

Looks like if one had to be really selective and wanted to miss some nice and larger gold rings they could eliminate a lot of trash by digging like 32 VDI and under but will miss some nice larger rings? Or 20-25 VDI and under if they really, really, really wanted to be selective and not put many holes in the ground and miss like 30-50% of the gold rings?

I know you hardcore jewelry hunters here would never consider doing that. But interesting data to me, if I really just want to do some ultra cherry picking in places people don't want to see me digging all over the place. 

I guess the key is knowing how the specific types of ground we hunt in change these VID's. Does it shift everything evenly? Or does it change some VID's more/less than others? Luckily for me in town here, it's all ultra mild clay and clean quartz sand.

Having trouble interpreting the chart - what does the horizontal axis represent?  Thx

4 hours ago, Dug D said:

Wow this is a huge stretching of the VID range on the E Nox. It appears that 12 to about 23 Nox VID is now 26 to 60 on the Manticore ?  That is 12 segments to 34. 

To me this explains why this area is compressed on the the Nox, with these four types of targets each having such a wide range there is/was no easy discrimination win.

I guess this lets you adjust better for each particular site. 

I wish they could underline the VID some color for aluminum.

image.png.fa7dfd46750acb86819c65290b0f8056.png

It's what concerned me about ML expanding the scale.  Repeatability might suffer.  We'll see how it plays out on the Nox 900.

28 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Having trouble interpreting the chart - what does the horizontal axis represent?  Thx

Nothing, the only data in the chart is VID on the vertical axis. Horizontally each dot is just spaced out so that you can see them individually and they don't stack onto each other. They are simply plotted in the order I typed them in horizontally. Otherwise with no horizontal spacing you can't see how often they repeat and thus how common or uncommon they are.

So the way to interpret is just by looking at the VID value and seeing if a dot is above or below it.

For instance look at gold rings. A good percentage of them are below 30ish VID. While a good percentage of zincs are between 40 and 60 VID.

5 hours ago, jasong said:

Nothing, the only data in the chart is VID on the vertical axis. Horizontally each dot is just spaced out so that you can see them individually and they don't stack onto each other. They are simply plotted in the order I typed them in horizontally. Otherwise with no horizontal spacing you can't see how often they repeat and thus how common or uncommon they are.

So the way to interpret is just by looking at the VID value and seeing if a dot is above or below it.

For instance look at gold rings. A good percentage of them are below 30ish VID. While a good percentage of zincs are between 40 and 60 VID.

Thanks.  Hard for my brain to view and interpret it in that manner because its trying to interpret the horizontal aspect .  It would be interesting then to plot them as a more ordered histogram with the vdi along the horizontal axis and total discrete targets per vdi while retaining the color coding for target type rather than scattered.  I might do that and see what it looks Even more interesting if the data included "above, below, or right on top of" the target trace line.