Zinc Penny And Pull Tab Vid

strick

As a grown man in his late fifties I felt kinda silly doing this but it was more fun then going to work today so after I finished my yard chores I decided to air test some of the zinc pennies and pull tabs that I have found in the last couple hunts with the Manticore. I'm not skilled enough anymore to up load a chart on the internet but you can get an idea by looking at the numbers. Zinc pennies and pull tabs are a problem for those of us that chase gold rings out in the wild. 

strick 

thumbnail (2).jpeg

thumbnail (3).jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

Thanks for that.  Typically on the Equinox (in my soil anyway), beavertail-only VDI's hit just below USA 5 cent nickel coin (~11-12 compared to 12-13).  The two you tested with the Manticore appear to be well separated from USA nickel coin (which hits about 27, I think).  If that holds up this may be a big plus for those of us who hunt those coins.  It does appear that a few of the modern tabs you tested are close to our nickel, but most are well separated.  Those hit 13-14 in my soil with the Equinox but aren't as tempting to dig, except for an occasional blip, since nickels don't go up into 14 (when coil is centered -- but coins on edge may be an exception -- not sure).

Are all your test targets from water locations?  Maybe that can affect the VDI readings...?

21 minutes ago, strick said:

Zinc pennies and pull tabs are a problem for those of us that chase gold rings out in the wild. 

The range of those skanky zinc's is unacceptable>also the Nox pretty much locks my square tabs at 13-14..... SO HAPPY I detect in Mexico. 

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

The range of those skanky zinc's is unacceptable>also the Nox pretty much locks my square tabs at 13-14..... SO HAPPY I detect in Mexico. 

Yea I agree the expanded VID can be a problem and will take some getting used to. Most of the zincs are in the 40's and 50's from memory which would be a pretty good sized gold ring so one would have to bet against the odds if passing them up. On the Nox I never passed up 13's and 14's but don't recall digging a gold ring with those exact numbers either but I'll keep trying 😁

strick 

19 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are all your test targets from water locations?  Maybe that can affect the VDI readings...?

These were dug in the park hunts recently.

strick 

Now you are on to the reasons why I can't cherry pick without doubts.  Dig it all is still alive to get to know your machine and the location.  Clues matter to me.

I've found rings where I've found pennies both physically and VIDually!  I'm sure the expanded range will help our brains and ears eliminate some trash, but the problem is corroded pennies at the beach and parks.  I don't think any detector can be programmed or designed to ignore them without missing a little good stuff.

If we hit a park or even now some beaches that have been detected repeatedly then much of the trash has been removed over the years.  (Just like the nuggets and clues for gold.)  We all know that 'they' didn't get it all but maybe there is so little left in some locations that we would be better off some other place.

Gerry may have even demonstrated this with his Mexico trip.  There is not as much to find as before.  But ... we have what we have.  Better detectors with fewer good targets so we have to do what Steve is doing.  Find more targets!

Here's most of your data combined Strick, I left out bent, tail, platinum, bracelet just to reduce clutter a bit.

image.png.a981230e33244e4134dce4c84fadbea1.png

Looks like if one had to be really selective and wanted to miss some nice and larger gold rings they could eliminate a lot of trash by digging like 32 VDI and under but will miss some nice larger rings? Or 20-25 VDI and under if they really, really, really wanted to be selective and not put many holes in the ground and miss like 30-50% of the gold rings?

I know you hardcore jewelry hunters here would never consider doing that. But interesting data to me, if I really just want to do some ultra cherry picking in places people don't want to see me digging all over the place. 

I guess the key is knowing how the specific types of ground we hunt in change these VID's. Does it shift everything evenly? Or does it change some VID's more/less than others? Luckily for me in town here, it's all ultra mild clay and clean quartz sand.

If it were'nt for detectorists, people in parks would be walking, sitting, and playing on a solid carpet of rotting zinc pennies, pull tabs, and can slaw. So you're welcome parks departments everywhere! 😎

They should outlaw pop-top cans and make pennies out of cardboard, IMHO! 😁