Max Sensitivity

OK so I've seen a number of people using either the Simplex or Legend mention that they never run full sensitivity even though lack of EMI chatter would allow it.

Is there a good reason for this?  If you are able to run the Legend at 30, why purposely lower it to 26 or 28?  I've never heard anyone explain the why... 

Max Sens = Max depth, no?

The Legend and the Simplex run very hot meaning they are super sensitive detectors. If you can stand the background noise floor and still hear responses from deep targets OR if you have absolutely no EMI or ground mineralization whether iron, volcanics, fertilizer or salt to deal with, crank up the sensitivity as high as possible or just max it out.

Right now, I can detect about the first 3 inches of ground.....deeper than that is frozen solid. So I am running my Legend at around 20 since there is no point in trying to detect deeper targets through 6" of snow..........

For areas with lots of possible recent drops, whether the ground is frozen or not, lowering the sensitivity is actually a really good strategy and the Legend or any hot detector will not detect some of the fly speck aluminum and iron bits. Raising the coil a few inches off the ground will do the same thing.

• Like 2