Tractor Pulled Beach Clean Up Rakes

Does anybody know if these things are good enough to pick up small things like coins and rings?

I want to stop one on the beach and ask the operator (he would know), but haven't done it yet.

They hit my dry sand beaches every morning.

Lots of different types of machines are used with different size screens , etc. Have seen them up close and every operator I've talked to looks for treasure. Mainly bigger finds that catch their eyes like chains and phones. One of the reasons we find so many dimes here is because they fall through the holes. Beach cleaners by no means get everything. The key is finding where they dump the piles from the bucket. Sometimes at the high tide line bit more often in a dumpster. Which I have gone through with a sifter. Have made some great finds but generally very time consuming and labor intensive. 

I don't know the mechanics of how they work. I imagine screen sifter size is a big deal. But if it's small enough to hold coins or rings, you would think it would back up easily and not allow them to drive as fast as they do.

I think being in a tourist area like I am, the rake is mainly used for appearance of the sand. There is no trash at all on the beach where I see these guys running in the early morning EVERY day. Not enough time to get trashy in between runs.

I find deep coins in the dry sand 8"-10" down, so was wondering if these machines swipe them off the top layer or if they can't get that small.

8 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I don't know the mechanics of how they work. I imagine screen sifter size is a big deal. But if it's small enough to hold coins or rings, you would think it would back up easily and not allow them to drive as fast as they do.

I think being in a tourist area like I am, the rake is mainly used for appearance of the sand. There is no trash at all on the beach where I see these guys running in the early morning EVERY day. Not enough time to get trashy in between runs.

I find deep coins in the dry sand 8"-10" down, so was wondering if these machines swipe them off the top layer or if they can't get that small.

Most are adjustable for depth. They usually only go about 3" down. The speed they drive is a big indicator of how deep they are going. Also it doesn't take much for fresh drop coins and jewelry to sink 10" down in dry sand on a crowded beach. My advice : go up to 1 of the maintenance guys at your beach building early in the morning and chat a few minutes , look at the machines they use. That's all I did. But I also talk and chat when they jump out of the rig to look for treasure under the guise of checking the operation of the screens. Lol