Observations (in A Park)

Medina

Noticed in the field yesterday, dug two clad quarters, stacked, gave a 98 vdi, solo clad quarter were 88/89. My 800 and CTX didnt "stack" an increase vdi.
I crossed up the target before digging, was already bragging I'd found a silver silver quarter. Out of plug, separate quarters got 88 air test, stacked them, 98 air test.......back home, air tested in garage same.............. man, I do not like this. Anyone else notice this? high conductor, using custom discrim #2
Also, ran it a LOT on sens of 15, as I was assuming most targets were shallow, nice and quiet, got up in under around benches, fences posts etc, yes I run max as possible, on most machines, but this one...did not feel the need after half hour around a park. two faint ghost tones, no VDI, just cranked up to 20 and all was revealed revealed

Interesting that you were running 15 sensitivity got ghost tones and cranked it up to 20 and saw the target clear. There has been some debate about how high we need to run the sensitivity on Manticore because it is a deep machine without running too hot.

This tells me you may be missing some targets (unless you dig all ghost/weak targets) if you try to run it too low or quiet. Yes you must be able to hear/discern the target mixed with SOME chatter if you run hotter, but if that's what it takes to go deep that others have missed, that's what it takes. 

As far as the stacked quarters, I don't think that is a big problem because how often are you going to run into that?

Be glad you got two quarters instead of one! Ha! (unless you don't dig clad quarters)

For me I wont run my manticore in teens.. its make the very deep non ferrous target IDing as iron and I scare it will missed target entirely.. I only done the test only once though when I first got the machine. My sweet spot is running the sensitivity of 27, recovery of 4 if the ground permits.. but target detected with the sensitivity of 27 can still be heard with the sensitivity of 22.. it just the tones/signal clarity is not 'satisfying' enough for me when using speaker.. 

fisher, I'll run it where ever I can. Only a couple spots so far I was able to crank it into the 30's without insane chatter. Took a bit to run at max, did the hold the noise cancel down, reground balanced a couple of times. its nice for bigger fields as we dont have a 15 yet, that bleed over at max will squeak a coin if you get close.

20, 22, about like my 800 for most of the areas.  I'm not afraid to run it down to 10, 15. Whats amazing, to me on such low sensitivity, is that it not only finds things down several inches, but allows me to go where others obviously can't, or wont even try. Using my 800, 6" coil I found enough jewelry, and gold I scrapped to almost pay for it, certainly an incentivising push. Assume the Manti will do the same, cant WAIT for them to come out with coils...and so hoping its not going to be a comprimise, like the 8x5, I want a 6 round, or even 5 round. rocks trees around the OLD homesteads, Old ball park fences, benches, aw yeah, bring it.  

• Like 2

I can run sensitivity of 30s in a few places too.. but didn't need too because lower sensitivity also can detect the same target.. minus the headache.. I bet the 8x5 inch coil will be hot seller for the manicure.. seems like everybody waiting for that coil.. including me lol.. I missed the 6' coil on the equinox for the freshwater/river hunting ... gliding through the stream and rocks... sold it to a good friend of mine for 80 buck.. kinda regret it ... lol... 

• Like 1

Hello,

I've had the Manticore for about six weeks now and with many hours on it. 

I run mine here in Pensacola at about the 22-24 sensitivity range in the High Conductor program. If I go higher, I seem to get more iron falsing.

This Manticore has a learning curve even when coming from the Nox 800. I have found over 150 Wheaties so far, about a dozen silvers coins, some really cool vintage items and even some civil war bullets.

I am salivating for the small coil to come out. The ground around here is extremely trashy and I know the smaller coil will help separate much better.

Happy hunting!

Silver coins.jpg

• Like 7

I've found two silver quarters I thought might have been touching due to the staining on them. I have also found a stand alone Walker half. So far I don't think I have seen what you are describing as far as any up averaging. I size and depth check all ultra high I.D.'s. above what a quarter would I.D.. I have a post on FMDing where I found 4 clad Ike dollars, and a Kennedy half. Two Ike's in the same hole. All the Ike's were 94-96 in AT-HC. I'm up to 11 silvers so far with the Manticore, and while I'm still learning every outing it's doing great so far. I have used AT-HC most of the time. AT-LC where the iron is really bad. 

11 hours ago, CoinShooter said:

Hello,

I've had the Manticore for about six weeks now and with many hours on it. 

I run mine here in Pensacola at about the 22-24 sensitivity range in the High Conductor program. If I go higher, I seem to get more iron falsing.

This Manticore has a learning curve even when coming from the Nox 800. I have found over 150 Wheaties so far, about a dozen silvers coins, some really cool vintage items and even some civil war bullets.

I am salivating for the small coil to come out. The ground around here is extremely trashy and I know the smaller coil will help separate much better.

Happy hunting!

Silver coins.jpg

Wow! That's some good virgin hunting grounds you've got up there to be able to pull that many older coins. I'm a beach hunter but maybe I better try to find a spot inland where I won't get kicked out because I have a detector. 

I know all state parks in Fl. are off limits and all Pinellas county parks are off limits. You are lucky to have your spot(s)!

• Like 1

Thank you for the response.

Look for lots where old houses have been torn down. These are my favorites places to detect when not waist deep in the water.

John

• Like 2