My First Relic Hunt With The Deus II

ColonelDan

Back packing my Deus II in the XP 280.  Everything plus some other items fit nicely.  I made it through TSA no problem. No questions about the detector or the MI 6 pinpointer. 

Check in….smooth as silk.  When your son is a  pilot for that airline and made the reservations for us, things go extra smooth with no charge for checked  or carry on bags.

I’ll do some detecting on the property this afternoon along an old wall of piled up rocks.

Updates to follow….

• Like 7

Landed a few hours ago and only had about 2 hours to recon and try digging a few targets.  Rocks EVERYWHERE… very tiring and slow going.  Mostly a recon day but I did find a square nail near the old rock wall…. an indicator of the 1800s.

Sure isn’t the Florida beaches I’m used to!

Further updates to follow…..😊

• Like 5

I’m running into a lot of modern iron so today I’m going to take a page outta the Calabash  book of relic hunting success in iron and use the notch feature.  I’ll revert back to all metal for awhile when we hit the slave quarters area.  I’ll let you know how it pans out.

One thing I know for sure, it’s going to require multiple trips to this place in order to detect it properly.  12 acres of rocky hilly ground isn’t fast or easy!  😆

• Like 2

Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of relic hunting, Colonel! Often, when my ears are being assaulted by rapid fire iron grunts and falses in a bed of square nails, I wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to do this. And then I find something really old and amazing that I could not have found in the city and remember why I do it. 😏

There's nothing wrong with notching iron out to get your ears used to this different style of detecting. Just be aware, if you notch too high, you can miss good targets masked by iron that drags their IDs really low. This is where the audio makes a difference. Trust the sound, not necessarily the ID.

Good Hunting, Colonel! 

• Haha 2

BFACD02C-C140-4542-89AB-C61AA3B947F4.thumb.jpeg.29cad9d03a65c19eeb8952282e914d40.jpeg
This property is beautiful but this is what I’m fighting.  Rocks, downed trees, branches and “wait-a-minute” vines!  😊

• Like 3

CCB78BA2-65E5-4402-9639-60BEF6A22A77.thumb.jpeg.4a859405ac1fae91ff4bd03de27e971a.jpeg

Found this antique clock mechanism and square nail near the rock wall.

The clock part was found after I notched 0-50.  
The nail was pre-notch….obviously.

Lunch break and back to it.

• Like 4

FB3F1D1D-51F6-4617-B7B2-D1FACF0899B7.thumb.jpeg.bd3f1cc8aa9e9b9a3b055a91eb2e0b15.jpeg

These UFOs (unidentified found objects) were found pre-notch…all metal.  No idea what this is….except even I can ID the arrow!  😂

• Like 2

Looks like some stove iron there.    I don't know much about rocks but vines are a damned nuisance.

Have fun & thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

Going to try F350’s Reaper program next.  For this beach hunter, this whole weekend is an experimental exercise.  😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

Going to try F350’s Reaper program next.  For this beach hunter, this whole weekend is an experimental exercise.  😉

The Reaper is for hearing everything, you might want to turn iron volume down a notch. Looks like car parts to me, I've found whole Model T Fords out there 🤣 make sure you're ground balanced on a clear spot (12 pumps minimum), and turn 45-90 degrees on falsing targets. They will "dive" to iron. Up reactivity in machine gun nails, but not really over 2.5. When you're not hearing stuff deep, it's too high.

• Like 3