Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Pulled The Trigger

Geologyhound

Congrats on your first hunt, Geologyhound, great finds, well done!

The Silver Slayer program is great for coins, but as F350 noted, it will miss a lot of gold and even silver rings, depending on size and shape. You can change the notches on that, or any program to allow more of the gold range in.

F350 also mentioned ways to determine some trash signal from good one. Big objects will usually ring in high and iron will false high on the Pitch audio. Raise the coil up to 6 inches on a loud high ringing suspect target. If it is something like a large can, it will sound the same as you raise the coil. If it is a high conducting coin or jewelry, the sound will fade fast as you lift. Also turn 90° on suspect targets as you sweep. Bad targets will usually change sound and ID drastically, but good targets usually sound good and ID the same as you turn. You should dig everything at first to learn how the D2 responds to each type of target. I still dig suspected trash targets from time to time just to verify them.

A lot of what you know from your XLT will carry over into the Deus 2, it just has different ways of responding. As you get use to the sounds of the D2, you'll learn to hear slight differences in different types of targets which will help tremendously. There is so much to learn, but you are well on your way. ?

• Like 2

I am used to a threshold hum, and everything that gets discriminated out causes the hum to disappear.  With the D2 threshold I am getting more of a Morse code rapidfire beep than a steady hum.  The threshold still drops out from time to time which I assume is what is discriminated out.  I am also getting a lot of lower pitch bweeps and bwoops.  I am thinking those are targets which were notched out?

Yes, I hate the notion of missing a gold ring. Granted they are few and far between, but they are what I remember most about detecting with my XLT.  But for learning (especially if I’m going to be digging larger deeper holes than I have historically done), I figure digging a few less targets/hour temporarily (until I can get more comfortable with the D2) is acceptable.  I’ll then branch out to other programs/settings after a bit more field time.

F350Platinum, I have heard a lot of good things about your Relic Reaper program, and I have some sites where I would eventually love to test it.  But, in the vein of walking before running, I think I will get a bit more time on the D2 before actually trying it.  From some of the other posts I have seen, I understand you don’t want the settings published, and that is fine by me.  If anyone asks, I will refer them to you.  So yes, I would be very grateful if you would PM it to me. 

Out of curiosity, is that starburst a military badge of some sort?

Thank you all for your advice and input!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

I am also getting a lot of lower pitch bweeps and bwoops.  I am thinking those are targets which were notched out?

Using Silver Slayer will do that because of the discrimination and notch settings, it allows targets that fall below 00 to come through. There is a negative side to discrimination. I'm probably not giving you the best answer tho.

One thing I will write for sure is that you could open up the nickel notch a bit but it may do more harm than good, I've found "V", Buffalo and Shield nickels that fell in at 58 with my program that SS would miss altogether. Just one point lower is all you need.

5 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Out of curiosity, is that starburst a military badge of some sort?

I believe the badge is horse tack that broke off, it has broken prongs on the back and is heavy solid brass, about 3" in diameter. I remember it being a high tone, but set off the detector at more than a foot because it was shallow.

I don't publish the settings simply because I wasn't sure of myself initially, the program is kind of wild because it neither notches nor discriminates. It's more "all metal" than any other. Notch is off, and Disc is 00. You will hear absolutely everything except that which definitely is iron, including the false tones iron often generates. The beauty of the program is that the iron that falses above 00 will show itself on a 45-90 degree turn, it will be pushed to a low tone like Silver Slayer. Silver Slayer eliminates the higher tone falsing altogether, or most of it.

Again I don't know the science but it works. Only very few iron targets fool it. I tested it in the worst possible scenario recently (Culpeper VA red clay soil) and it acted a bit different there but with the same assimilation result. I was very pleased.

For relic hunting you really want to hear everything, and use your hearing and site assimilation to discriminate. I've plucked a 14k gold ring and a hammered 1607 Silver sixpence half because I'm not using any discrimination. Simply put, you know it's good when you hear it. ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I called the XP America’s number and initially got a message that they had been sold and the phone system was temporally not being answered.  I called back several days later, reached a nice lady, and explained the situation about the cracked cap.  They said it was a known issue, and sent me a new cap. I didn’t have to provide purchase documentation.   That is good, because every time I have tried to register my unit, the website tells me that mailing list is no longer active.

• Like 1