Pulled The Trigger

Geologyhound

1 hour ago, Cheddar said:

i have no idea why someone would want to listen to the annoying hiss of a pin pointer in their headphones!

I am perhaps not the best person to respond to this as I don’t have one yet. But I know the manual says there are three preset programs and one save slot for the MI6 (it also says the four programs on the remote are different from the four on the MI6).  The manual does make it clear that you can adjust the tone of the MI6 to suit your hearing and you can pair it with the remote/headphones. 
However, the Pinpointer manual says there are seven programs with program number seven being the link to the D2.  Not sure which is correct, but I figure I’ll find out in a few days.

3 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

just the price of the extra coil.

Welllll, just the price of the coil, a second shaft, headphones and a pinpointer...  🤣 Shovel, finds bag... 😁

5 hours ago, Cheddar said:

I only use vibrate mode as i think that is far superior to listening to the audio. so i have no idea why someone would want to listen to the annoying hiss of a pin pointer in their headphones!

I do that with the Carrot, but not with the MI-6. The MI-6 in my opinion is far superior to all the pinpointers I've used, and it's a bonus to me to hear it in the headphones. I use pitch audio instead of pulse, and there is no hiss. You only hear it when you turn it on.

It might be a bit flaky, but it hits stuff very deep and I can use it to keep holes at a minimum if I have to. I run it at full sensitivity all the time. 🙂

Also, when paired with the D2, the MI-6 has 50 levels of sensitivity as opposed to 3 levels when not paired. You cannot use the vibration mode when paired, but I haven't really missed that at all. And you get 90 hours of battery runtime when paired, as well as all the audio choices F350 pointed out, MI-6 battery indicator and Target Zoom screen (which I never look at), and the kicker, the D2 can locate a lost MI-6 even when it is turned off. What's not to like? 😏

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Welllll, just the price of the coil, a second shaft, headphones and a pinpointer...  🤣 Shovel, finds bag... 😁

Yeah, I had not thought about a second shaft.  But from what I have heard, I may need a non-XP shaft right off the bat...

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I run it at full sensitivity all the time. 🙂

Good to know! I was wondering about that. Do you find soil mineralization and or EMI ever interferes with that?

3 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

Good to know! I was wondering about that. Do you find soil mineralization and or EMI ever interferes with that?

No, not that I've ever seen. I don't have any mineralization here, and EMI is usually at a minimum because my area is extremely rural. The permission I was at today does have EMI, but it does not affect either the Deus 2 or the MI-6. I've always been pleased with how well it handles interference.

The only thing that might happen is that the pinpointer might "go off" once in a while, the tone keeps going, but a quick button press stops it. Sometimes it doesn't connect to the remote, so turn it off and turn it on again.

Don't let people dissuade you regarding this machine and its peripherals. Everything works well. Every machine out there has its quirks, particularly the most versatile. 🙂

Welcome to the d2 team. I got mine around mid to late january and it is just fantastic. I dont think there's a more comfotable or ergonomic machine and the d2 has awesome customization options that will help you better customize the detector to specific sites or applications.

14 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Yeah, I had not thought about a second shaft.  But from what I have heard, I may need a non-XP shaft right off the bat...

I got my D2 last April and have had no problems with it other than learning it and that just takes putting in the hours on it like any other machine. My shaft has been great, with no flex problems like some report. So I'd recommend putting in as much time as you can and learn as much as you can about it. Fortunately it's so light that you can swing it all day and not get tired from it. After you get comfortable with it, and that won't take long, if you feel you need to make changes in shaft there are many after factory solutions, including a whole carbon fiber shaft.

There may be quirks just like there are with all detectors and peripherals, but give it a chance to do it's thing first. The D2 is an amazing machine and it will amaze you too, the more you learn it. The most important thing I've learned about it so far is to learn the sounds and the audio nuances that can tell you so much more about targets than the TID numbers. And if you have questions or need help, there is no shortage of helpful and knowlegeable detectorists here that are always willing to help. 

Most of all just enjoy your new detector, it is a winner! 😎

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I do that with the Carrot, but not with the MI-6. The MI-6 in my opinion is far superior to all the pinpointers I've used, and it's a bonus to me to hear it in the headphones. I use pitch audio instead of pulse, and there is no hiss. You only hear it when you turn it on.

It might be a bit flaky, but it hits stuff very deep and I can use it to keep holes at a minimum if I have to. I run it at full sensitivity all the time. 🙂

I’m a fan of the sensitivity allowance of the MI6 on the D2.  I also run it full and do find that it rings in some of my local soils, but remember that if you turn it on in a clean pile of the same soil it balances itself.