I've Noticed Something Lately With At-hc

I use AT-HC most of the time, and this past weekend I noticed several times I would get a one way high tone that would disappear if you circled the target and got back over the exact spot you had initially had a solid tone. It was like the detector had changed it's mind on what the target was. I've used the 800 since 2018 and never had it hit on something then you circle and the target and it's gone when you come back to the starting point. Sure if you stick a shovel in the ground you can lose a high tone that was actually iron, but never just circling a target.  

I have seen initial Iron falses get processed down with repeated passes. If you release the target from the coil and then come back on it it may or may not false again.  A good non ferrous target will process up with repeated passes of the coil and readily reacquire if released.

3 hours ago, longbow62 said:

I would get a one way high tone that would disappear if you circled the target and got back over the exact spot you had initially had a solid tone. It was like the detector had changed it's mind on what the target was.

Hi Longbow,

One other thing you might want to check is whether ground balance auto tracking is on. I don’t use tracking but I suspect that if you spend an enough time over a target with auto tracking on the ground balance will change, especially a large target.

Ringtail

• Like 1

3 hours ago, longbow62 said:

I use AT-HC most of the time, and this past weekend I noticed several times I would get a one way high tone that would disappear if you circled the target and got back over the exact spot you had initially had a solid tone. It was like the detector had changed it's mind on what the target was. I've used the 800 since 2018 and never had it hit on something then you circle and the target and it's gone when you come back to the starting point. Sure if you stick a shovel in the ground you can lose a high tone that was actually iron, but never just circling a target.  

When you've had this happen have you switched to another mode to check the signal?

I'll usually switch between at-hc to at-lc when I'm not sure about a signal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, longbow62 said:

I noticed several times I would get a one way high tone that would disappear if you circled the target and got back over the exact spot you had initially had a solid tone.

So it was as if there was never a target there to begin with?  Were you in all-metal or were you notching out some of the Conductive (horizontal) scale and/or silencing the gray areas on the Ferrous (vertical) scale?

I guess the thing is it disappears while you circle so changing to a different program is irrelevant. Changing to a different program would work if your one way high toned stayed. Tracking on might do that, but I don't run with tracking on. The Manticore is a different beast than the 800. It is in AT-HC for sure.

On a different note. Sunday I pulled a silver Rosie and a Merc out of a yard that had been beat to death with a Etrac and 800 a couple of years ago. I remember how much time was spent there. We got several silvers apiece, and thought we had really covered it well. Were they just missed before?