Legend V1.11 Software Wild Target Hunt

Cold and snowing here in Denver on April 22, 2023 so no hunting today. I got bored so I thought I would check out what is new on YouTube for the Legend.

For all of you Legend lovers or potential Legend buyers, this is a recent wild target hunt video from last week by Scott from Mental Metal using the Legend, 11" coil running V. 1.11 software at a site that Scott has hunted with Deus 1, Deus 2, CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Equinox 900 and the Manticore. First time hunting the same site with the Legend and its newest software.

It's a long 30 minute video. First 20 minutes are hunt footage and the last 10 minutes contain an indoor USA coin program setup.

Scott makes pretty good videos. The hunt results, target IDs and depths shown in this video are very similar to mine here in Colorado using the Legend V1.11.

Thanks for posting this.

I used to watch his channel when I got back into detecting 1 1/2 years ago. At the time, I was watching so many detecting channels, and I somehow forgot about his channel.

Anyway, that was quite the haul given the circumstances. I wonder if he would have found even more coins in that trashy site, by using the LG24 coil with its superior unmasking and separation characteristics. Something else I noticed, is at 10:45, he's getting an ID much higher than a dime, yet he pulls out a dime. I kept saying, "recheck the hole", but he didn't hear me 😁

Also, kudos to him for talking about the IF and giving the good advice of starting it low, and moving it up if too much iron falsing is occurring. Although Ferrocheck can often identify iron falsing. More specifically, I'll get a strong good tone and a good ID, but Ferrocheck will show nothing on the nonferrous side. That often means it's iron falsing.

EDIT:

He mentions that with v1.11 the Legend is different detector than when he first tried it. That's interesting, because Calabash also said that after using v1.11. I'm not certain what exactly they're referring to. However, when Dilek was talking about the features of v1.11, I recall her saying that there were "other enhancements" as well.

I hadn’t watched any of his videos lately either. I think he hunts somewhere in Maryland  most of the time????

I watched the hunt part of the one I posted and was calling those targets too before he dug them.

Sometimes a detector manufacturer really produces a stunning detector both in the really positive, WOW category and sometimes in the ugly dog category.

The Legend continues to really impress me every time I use it and has done so since I first used it back in March of 2022. I didn’t want to get too excited about it at the time in case I was wrong about it or some huge flaws appeared later on. 

After over a year it has totally blown me away with its outstanding performance.

Scott complains about the Fisher F-Pulse several times in the linked video.

As a person who has thousands and thousands (not an exaggeration) of hours using an F-Pulse and hundreds of hours using one with the Legend, there are two things that he was doing that I absolutely don’t do.

I never put the coil right next to the dig hole when I am using an F-Pulse/Tek-Point.

I also never put a shovel or any other large metallic object near my F-Pulse/Tek-Point when turning it on or using it. 

These are extremely sensitive pinpointers. So, his complaints in my opinion were operator error. Not criticizing him for the sake of criticizing. I just want other users and potential users to know that what I saw in that video was totally normal pinpointer behavior for that brand of pinpointer.

Jeff,

What coil are you using when you hunt parks?

Due snow and the ground just recently thawing, I haven't been able to use the LG24 and v.1.11 very much...other than air testing. Tomorrow will be my first hunt with the 24 and 1.11 after a pesky 6 month winter.

36 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Also, kudos to him for talking about the IF and giving the good advice of starting it low, and moving it up if too much iron falsing is occurring. Although Ferrocheck can often identify iron falsing. More specifically, I'll get a strong good tone and a good ID, but Ferrocheck will show nothing on the nonferrous side. That often means it's iron falsing.

EDIT:

He mentions that with v1.11 the Legend is different detector than when he first tried it. That's interesting, because Calabash also said that after using v1.11. I'm not certain what exactly they're referring to. However, when Dilek was talking about the features of v1.11, I recall her saying that there were "other enhancements" as well.

Scott and Calabash both stopped using or even having a Legend in their possession for several months. So, they did not have much if any experience with V1.09 or 1.10.

I experienced a big performance boost with V1.09. So far I am not seeing a gigantic change since 1.09.

6 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Jeff,

What coil are you using when you hunt parks?

Due snow and the ground just recently thawing, I haven't been able to use the LG24 and v.1.11 very much...other than air testing. Tomorrow will be my first hunt with the 24 and 1.11 after a pesky 6 month winter.

I mostly use the stock 11” coil for sites where depth is as or more important as target separation. If I am deliberately not concentrating on depth I use the LG24 elliptical. Gold prospecting, I use the 6” coil.

18 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

These are extremely sensitive pinpointers. So, his complaints in my opinion were operator error. Not criticizing him for the sake of criticizing. I just want other users and potential users to know that what I saw in that video was totally normal pinpointer behavior for that brand of pinpointer.

I tried the Tekpoint, and "sensitive" is an understatement 🙂

Even with my coil and trowel well away from it, I was having falsing issues. Yes, I tried everything the manual said to try when falsing occurs. Plus, the volume on it was way lower than any other pinpointer I've used. With a little wind or any other noise, I could often not even hear it. I ended up getting a refund for it, but now I'm wondering if I had a defective unit.

3 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I mostly use the stock 11” coil for sites where depth is as or more important as target separation. If I am deliberately not concentrating on depth I use the LG24 elliptical. Gold prospecting, I use the 6” coil.

Given how the LG24 is much less susceptible to EMI than the 11", I can raise my sensitivity significantly higher in EMI with the LG24. So right there alone, I should be able to match, and perhaps even exceed the depth of the 11" in EMI.

In addition, in trashy sites, I won't have to run as high as a recovery speed with the LG24. That means another good boost in depth over the 11"

Taking those two factors into account, I'm definitely thinking I'll get more depth with the LG24. Plus, my arm will thank me.