Your Most Unusual (identified) Relics.

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Sometimes I wish these relics could talk so they could tell us how they came to end up in the places where they were found.

Ain’t that the truth Chase.... it certainly applies to my favourite button, found near a 1840’s era surveyor’s hut for a newly settled town. It is a coat button of the Protector Fire Insurance Co. of London circa 1830. A retired fireman in England is an avid collector of this firefighting memorabilia and offered me a tidy sum for it.

How it got from London to the unsettled Aussie bush would make for a great read.

The new owner has documented his collection in a catalogue. My find is item No.4 in this picture. I feel like I have made a tiny contribution to posterity.

3401E4CC-E871-46FF-B073-8370105333F3.jpeg

E3D4A9E3-1C68-4CB2-9BE9-12455A008151.jpeg

• Like 7

I'm really enjoying seeing all these unique relics from times long ago.

I honestly prefer finding such relics much more so than finding coins (even silver coins). I mean, I've found so many silver coins in my hunting time, that when I find them now, it's just kind of "ho hum". I know I know...that's hunter blasphemy! 

Digging out an old unique relic, turning it over, staring at it, and wondering: What the hell is this?, is a wonderful hunting experience.

With all that said, at the end of my hunting season last year, I decided to no longer hunt for coins. Now, I only hunt for relics and / or jewelry. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bootscrape said:

Ain’t that the truth Chase.... it certainly applies to my favourite button, found near a 1840’s era surveyor’s hut for a newly settled town. It is a coat button of the Protector Fire Insurance Co. of London circa 1830. A retired fireman in England is an avid collector of this firefighting memorabilia and offered me a tidy sum for it.

How it got from London to the unsettled Aussie bush would make for a great read.

The new owner has documented his collection in a catalogue. My find is item No.4 in this picture. I feel like I have made a tiny contribution to posterity.

3401E4CC-E871-46FF-B073-8370105333F3.jpeg

E3D4A9E3-1C68-4CB2-9BE9-12455A008151.jpeg

Incredible button.  That is an amazing design and to end up in a catalog.  Fantastic.

• Like 1

I found a crude seemingly beat together woman's sized silver ring with a 36 cal pistol bullet from cw at the field of dreams 4,5 years back! Chess piece close castle replica of 58 cal, poker chip completely flattened and rounded cw bullet! Idk if unusual enough or rather strange but surely unique and 1 offs!