Deus 2 Quick-connect Charger... Is This Possible?

Rattlehead

1 minute ago, Rattlehead said:

My thoughts exactly. I agree, the 3 lead cable needs to be longer as well. I love the Deus 2. It's my favorite machine out of the current crop of detectors. I just tend to nit-pick about the little annoyances with anything I get. If I can figure out a way to solve a few of them, great. Otherwise I'll just deal with them.

I'll look into a possible solution to the D2 remote charging, l also use a DetDoo clip on my 13" coil.

I have to say that since I got familiar with all the settings, I have absolutely no interest in any other detector other than one with a coil for tight spaces. 

I use the stock cloths pin style charger on my coils. One thing I did to make it a bit easier is, once the pin was seated properly and charging, I used a black magic marker and traced the outline of the pin on the side of the coil. Now every time I charge it hits the right spot every time.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:31 PM, Rattlehead said:

The one thing that really irritates me about my Deus 2 is how fiddly it is to connect the charging cable to the remote. I know I don't necessarily have to tighten it down to get a connection, but just having to fiddle with lining up the pins is annoying to me. Surely there's a better way. I'm assuming only a couple of those pins are for charging. So, my question for anyone with knowledge of electronics is, would something like this be possible? .. and if so, do you think this is something other users would be interested in? 

D2-EZ-PWR.JPG.a35188064b1998171ed2cf2d25028e11.JPG

The cap would remain on the remote at all times so that when a charge is needed, it would be as simple as connecting the magnets.

I don't know much about this sort of thing, so this may be just another one of my goofy ideas that's either too much trouble or not even possible. It just came to mind after I saw something similar for USB-C connections like this one:

EXAMPLE.JPG.60120a468a54841a407ca092aac78237.JPG

Thoughts?

I believe @Carolina came up with the pin assignments while making custom headphone connectors and probably knows where to find the stock connector plugs as well. I think it would be fairly easy to 3D print a magnetic dongle to work with that magnetic USB cord. If it slows down here enough, I may explore that more. 

D2 Audio Multi-pin Diagram.jpeg

9 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I believe @Carolina came up with the pin assignments while making custom headphone connectors and probably knows where to find the stock connector plugs as well. I think it would be fairly easy to 3D print a magnetic dongle to work with that magnetic USB cord. If it slows down here enough, I may explore that more. 

Which pins are for charging? Thanks Cap'n. And Carolina. 🙂

19 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Awesome! Thanks guys.

21 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Which pins are for charging? Thanks Cap'n. And Carolina. 🙂

That I don't know for sure without hooking the multimeter up to test it. Looks like a project for this weekend. 🤔

If I had to guess, I'd think that pin 6 is VDC+ and pin 3 may be VDC-, but DONOT QUOTE ME for those that are unfamiliar with electronics, because the wrong wiring can damage your Deus 2!!!

I'm sure that someone here has already determined the pin assignments and will hopefully share that info. 😏

19 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

Awesome! Thanks guys.

Full disclaimer, I have not tested these myself, but Carolina figured out the headphone pins while building his dive rig. 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

This is a copy of my original drawing that someone has added pin #6 as positive. The first I saw of it was a post from Midalake. It’s been my finding in life that sometimes you think you know and other times you know you know. It has also been my finding that it is foolish to make a move when you think you know. Especially with electronics. That being said I can tell you most of the assumptions are incorrect. Pin #6 is positive as shown but it is pin #1 which is the negative charging pin that gives 5.2 volts DC. In my opinion, I would not attempt to improve upon the electronics or mechanical aspects of the Deus ll. I would only advise to learn to adapt as others have done. Take care everybody. On a side note Google M8 6 pin connectors for your plug.

21 hours ago, Carolina said:

This is a copy of my original drawing that someone has added pin #6 as positive. The first I saw of it was a post from Midalake. It’s been my finding in life that sometimes you think you know and other times you know you know. It has also been my finding that it is foolish to make a move when you think you know. Especially with electronics. That being said I can tell you most of the assumptions are incorrect. Pin #6 is positive as shown but it is pin #1 which is the negative charging pin that gives 5.2 volts DC. In my opinion, I would not attempt to improve upon the electronics or mechanical aspects of the Deus ll. I would only advise to learn to adapt as others have done. Take care everybody. On a side note Google M8 4 pin connectors for your plug.

Thank you Carolina and I completely agree with you.

Everybody should be aware that this could void your warranty if you screw something up doing wiring mods!