Keeping My New Account Alive

OhioJoe

Hi all,

Just an old retired guy here. Picked up a used Nox 800. Thought I would look for something in the rivers besides fish. My two Backpacking buddies (40+ years) need a new hobby too!

Northern California, backpacked in Yosemite and North to Lake Tahoe. Let me know you find any areas nearby.  Just looking to have something to show our wives when we get home. (Fish wasn't too impressive!)

Joe

Welcome Joe. 

Great detector to get you started in the hobby.  Dig everything at first so you can learn the language of your detector to better distinguish Trash from treasure.

Not intending to deter your enthusiasm, but just a word of caution since you mentioned backpacking and detecting. Simply possessing or using a Metal Detector in any National Park (e.g. Yosemite) and many other (but not all) Federal Lands is prohibited and can result in some really unpleasant legal jeopardy.  Make sure you understand the prevailing rules and regulations regarding use of detectors on federal, state, and local public lands whether its a beach, campsite, park or tot lot.  Private lands (with permission), town parks and playgrounds, and beaches are generally OK (like Tahoe), but then again there many non-obvious Federal, state, and local restrictions.  Knowledge of the rules and where you are is essential.  Do research on the areas you plan to visit with your detector to be sure and know the boundaries of the lands for which you do have permission.  There are a number of phone apps such as Onx Hunt, Onx Backwoods and other hiking apps that are useful for both backpacking and detectorists. 

Sometimes having a great place to detect is the true treasure, so research and perseverance in that regard is often more important than the modern detecting equipment you are using.  State of the art detecting equipment such as the Nox 800 is designed to be effective out of the gate for the beginning detectorist and versatile enough to to support the experienced detecting veteran.

You have a vast knowledge resource here so don't be shy asking specific questions about your equipment, detecting techniques, and how to find great places to detect.

Have fun out there and good luck on your adventures.

Welcome from East Texas.