First Time In The Surf / Wet

Sinclair

Yesterday we had a little storm going on and the waterline was about -60cm - time to go out, since we have no tide over here, you have to take every opportunity 🤠

After fiddling that quirky antenna on, I went wading chest deep. The machine ran super quiet, Beach Sens, 5 tone, Silencer off, magnetic accept, sens 90.
First target bling ring.. ouch! A ring is a ring... found some Clad and a 925 pendant. After about an hour I've been forced to stop: Killed my scoop handle - damn...
Went ahead on the wet/slope, which brought up some clad and a 925 ring - bingo.

Things I observed:
D2 seems to hit deep targets on wet/in the water really good.. super loud. Probably a little bit deeper, than the Nox.
Strange thing was: Super loud target, taking off one shovel of sand: target nearly disappeared. Sometimes the pinpoint didn't even get it. Those targets were very deep. I know this can happen when things move, but I had that problem with ~10 targets. Very strange, don't know, if it's a beach program thing.

Fun fact:
I've found the exact same bling ring on the same beach last winter..

bling-twins.JPG

result.JPG

scoop.JPG

• Like 5

Nice hunt Sinclair, looks like you have a few Lord of the Rings fans in that area. Might be a cult. 😏

I have had the very same issues, broke my scoop once and also occasionally the targets "disappear" after scooping, it has happened both in the dry and wet.

First remedy was to buy a SteveG carbon fiber shaft for my scoop. 😀 If you're going to do a lot of water hunting I highly recommend this.

The second problem i have two solutions for, in the dry I whip out the trusty MI-6 and search after saying "huh" 🤔 and usually find it. In the wet or water I scoop like mad and chuck it all in a spot the water won't be touching, and search for it there and in the water. I draw the line at no more than 6 scoops though.

I believe it has to do with the target turning sideways or some other position that changes its phase, or it's so small it just disappears deeper in the hole.

There is a third but not very desirable option, that is to move on and forget about it if I don't find it. 😁

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone with this. It's annoying but I don't want to waste a lot of time on one thing when I can be retrieving many. I doubt there will be a fix for it.

Fun fact for you:

Your handle here makes me think of the first computer I ever programmed, the Timex Sinclair.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_334354

It ran BASIC.

Earlier than that was the Sinclair Oil gas station dinosaur, I had the piggy bank. 😀il_fullxfull.3936439318_2t1q.thumb.jpg.7bc5207afb1a56e451f31feaf2373908.jpg

Yeah, I'm old. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

First remedy was to buy a SteveG carbon fiber shaft for my scoop. 😀 If you're going to do a lot of water hunting I highly recommend this.

Yeah, I have to research what fit's my scoop. It has a slightly odd mounting diameter. I've used a pine stem before, which lasted surprisingly long - 4 years. I made this one out of ash with all the precautions to protect it from moisture.. it only lasted 1/2 year 😤

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone with this. It's annoying but I don't want to waste a lot of time on one thing when I can be retrieving many. I doubt there will be a fix for it.

It's really strange. I occianly had that problem with the Nox - but maybe 1 out of 500-1000 targets. Im pretty sure I've moved the targets in those cases. I'm almost sure, I didn't move them yesterday. They've sometimes rang so loud, I thought they were laying close to the surface - finally most of them were at least 2-3-4 scoops down. With "the pinpoint didn't even get it", I've meant the D2's pinpoint function. I sometimes had a hard time to locate the targets. While I don't particularly like the D2's pinpoint button arrangement - it didn't help all that much anyways - we had a rough sea yesterday, I could't even see the coil 10cm deep in the water although I've marked it with neon tape (nighthunt).

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Your handle here makes me think of the first computer I ever programmed, the Timex Sinclair.

Bingo - computers beeing the reason for one of my nicks ☺️

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

With "the pinpoint didn't even get it", I've meant the D2's pinpoint function. I sometimes had a hard time to locate the targets.

I've never really used nor trusted the D2 pinpoint button in the water, too many variables. I always try to get the targets out on the dry or sift the scoop clean.

I use either the 13" or the 9" in the water with the WS6, 13" on the D2.

The big coil requires a big scoop, I use a CooB V10 in the more rocky or pebbly wash, 2mm stainless is pretty tough.

My other scoop is smaller and 1.5mm Titanium. It cost so much I generally use it only in the fine sand with the 9".

Carbon fiber is really light and tough, SteveG seals both ends and puts a really nice grip on one end. I'm sure you can find a Euro vendor that will custom fit one or you can sand/tape it yourself to reach the right diameter. I've only had my CF shafts for one season so I can't vouch for the long term. 🤔

• Like 1

The pinpoint button works - but for me it's difficult to reach it.. I really have to bend my thumb down or let the grip loose. It would be much easier, if they placed the RC 1/2-1" higher or more recessed. Having to press a different button to exit the pinpoint mode is odd, too.

I think I'll bite the bullet and get the 9" on the long run. I should have bought the 9" kit straightaway..🙄

Good scoops are hard to find over here.. I'm always a bit jealous when I take a look at the US market.
I've choosen a small one for 10-20% water vs 80-90% dry sand hunting. As far as I remember it's 1.5mm + 2mm or more on the top + angled foot step / panel. The angled panel is really comfortable - haven't seen other scoopes designed like that. On the top of the shaft I use a D grip since the past 2 years. Easy on the fingers while dragging the scoop behind, as I usually do on the dry, to mark where I have already been.

I'll definitely have to get a CF shaft for the winter season 😁

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Good scoops are hard to find over here.. I'm always a bit jealous when I take a look at the US market.

It's there any difficulty getting scoops from Ukraine? CooB makes both stainless and titanium, and despite their current situation I see them for sale everywhere, and recent reviews. 🤔 Amazon has them as well as eBay world wide I believe, and they offer CF or stainless shafts as well. Rugged stuff if you can get it.

20 hours ago, Sinclair said:

The pinpoint button works - but for me it's difficult to reach it.. I really have to bend my thumb down or let the grip loose.

Here's a suggestion I made to another member who has big hands and finds the remote too close to the handgrip:

Try raising the remote by loosening the top cam lock directly under it. It will shorten the overall shaft length but there should be enough in the lower to compensate. 

On 9/20/2023 at 10:06 AM, Sinclair said:

The pinpoint button works - but for me it's difficult to reach it.. I really have to bend my thumb down or let the grip loose. It would be much easier, if they placed the RC 1/2-1" higher or more recessed. Having to press a different button to exit the pinpoint mode is odd, too.

I only beach and water hunt and never use the pinpoint button. Just a waste of time. With some practice of X-ing the target, recovery is easy on the discrimination mode. 

• Like 1

I only use it, if I didn't recover the target after 3 scoops 😅 - or if the target disappeared as described. On the minelab I sometimes use it to identify big targets - works good, if you swing very slow in pinpoint mode - didn't try that with the Deus, yet.

9" coil is on it's way - hopefully the 11" won't collect dust 😬

• Like 1