Relic Program For Saltwater Beaches?

Ferrous Grump

Yesterday, I spoke to a guy who helped me decide on purchasing my Deus II in August.  He asked me if I'd tried the Relic program on the beach?  I hadn't but gave it a quick test and it was much different than I was used to with my normal Beach setting.  He said it is now the only program he uses in the saltwater sand of eastern North Carolina.  He showed me a nice silver necklace he found that day.  I wonder if this is something to test further or if any of you have used this with success?

4 hours ago, Ferrous Grump said:

He said it is now the only program he uses in the saltwater sand of eastern North Carolina.  He showed me a nice silver necklace he found that day.

Any thoughts or advantages to using the Relic Program???  Why, what is better? 

3 hours ago, midalake said:

Any thoughts or advantages to using the Relic Program???  Why, what is better? 

I found no better way than to listen to Gary to evaluate this option.

Based on my experience, what might help in saltwater in relic mode might be less audio responsiveness on less conductive or small targets...A nonsense if you think of something like a very thin gold broken ring or bracelet, but not entirely.

There's a good tradeoff of stability and depth to be found, but also responsiveness to the small target...And according to what gary explains, it's not exactly the best option, except for more depth...

• Like 3

Update after home first test:

There might be an advantage to using relic mode if one were intent on lowering audio interference from salinity even using a maximum of 40kHz on shift 6, but beware, as Gary rightly explains immediately in the video, Relic promotes a fair depth of larger or better conductive objects, not weak conductors.
Testing a broken gold bracelet of as much as 7 grams in the air, I noticed no greater depth, in fact, less signal strength (exactly what is expected of this program)...

Consequently goldfield is the program that instead maximally amplifies the weak signals typically from gold objects and nuggets, to such an extent that it cannot be used in salt water or on wetsand, due again, to salt hypersensitivity💀

So the land in between still remains the Beach sensitive program slightly detuned 😉

Can't speak for the Relic programm. I've only tested the Sensitive/P2 and Mono on the beach.
Sensitive work's quite well on the dry sand, but isn't usable on the wet. Our water isn't super salty and we don't have any black sand on the slope. EMI is as bad as Beach Sens. I Sometimes use Mono to mitigate EMI issues on particular beaches. Doesn't work on the wet, too though. I don't think Relic will work all that good, either ..

A modified Beach Sens is my go-to on the beach.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skull diver said:

Testing a broken gold bracelet of as much as 7 grams in the air, I noticed no greater depth, in fact, less signal strength (exactly what is expected of this program)...

Chains are a big part of my finds where I hunt. I would not be willing to do a program trade that has difficulty with chains. 

• Like 1

I have used the Relic program for a lot of things but not for saltwater beaches. I have used it at freshwater beaches for relics and deep coins.

At least the way I understand it, the default Relic program is for deeper and small coins (US dime) and larger type targets. It is pretty blind to small targets below a gram in weight. So for a well rounded, detect anything easily program, Relic would not be my choice if I was just going to hit an area only once for instance.

Goldfield, since the V2.0 software update is much more sensitive to smaller sub gram targets than any other program on Deus 2 except for the Mono program running 40+kHz. But I wouldn't consider Goldfield for going deep however. 

If I was looking for really small, shallower jewelry targets anywhere including dry salt sand, running Goldfield might be something I would try or the Sensitive program in Pitch, not Relic. For damp or wet salt sand for a wide range of target sizes, conductivities and depth, Beach Sensitive would be my choice if it can handle the salt/black sand conditions.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, midalake said:

Chains are a big part of my finds where I hunt. I would not be willing to do a program trade that has difficulty with chains. 

Although necklaces are a rare thing in my area, I have found P12 to be the only fairly sensitive choice for broken bracelets and rings.
I must say that the modifications to be able to use it submerged in saltwater were not few, and the behavior often changes from area to area.