Mr. B Using Deep Hc

CPT_GhostLight

I've been messing with Deep HC a bit since I saw the first video, I set up the tone break the same way he did.

In most of the trashy places I'm hunting right now, I'm finding Relic to be a bit better at the max frequency of 24kHz.

The biggest problem is with iron. Relic is much better at identifying it, I dug none the last time I was out. I use Disc IAR of 5.

It's interesting that he got an iron tone with that coin however. 🤔 I'm running modified Relic next to Deep HC, so I'm going to have to do more with it, but the results I'm getting favor Relic.

Thanks Cap'n! I try to look for Gary's new videos but you always beat me to it. 😅

I don't understand what makes Deep HC any deeper or better for high conductors than any of the other programs if you drop max frequency and reactivity.  Is there  maybe some internal difference that they don't tell us about?

There does seem to be internal differences between many of the programs that are not controlled by user settings. Although Deep HC (and the other programs) were developed before the update that allows changing the Max Frequency setting, other changes have been made to many of the programs that are not user controllable. This is most likely why there are so many preset programs instead of just one preset that can be user adjusted to suit any and all conditions.

20 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

There does seem to be internal differences between many of the programs that are not controlled by user settings. Although Deep HC (and the other programs) were developed before the update that allows changing the Max Frequency setting, other changes have been made to many of the programs that are not user controllable. This is most likely why there are so many preset programs instead of just one preset that can be user adjusted to suit any and all conditions.

I credit/blame that on marketing wanting to provide examples of the various features more than anything else.

The majority of users are probably not the tweekers that we Forum members are, hence, Preset Programs.  There are probably also differences in the signal processing that are beyond any user adjustments.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:06 AM, iron_buzz said:

I don't understand what makes Deep HC any deeper or better for high conductors than any of the other programs if you drop max frequency and reactivity.  Is there  maybe some internal difference that they don't tell us about?

There is an externally identifiable difference - the transmit waveform is different - it's stepped and looks like a very crude triangle wave (which will have different harmonics).  There are almost certainly differences in the way the return signal is analyzed but these will most likely remain trade secrets (unless the encryption can be broken). Most other modes use a transmitted signal which is essentially a repeating square wave with two alternating duty cycles.  The HC transmitted waveform requires more battery power (because it has more low frequency energy and the coil suffers greater resistive losses) - the Manticore does something similar, and this is the origin of their 'more power into the ground' marketing guff.

3 hours ago, iron_buzz said:

I credit/blame that on marketing wanting to provide examples of the various features more than anything else.

It's a valid question and one we've been debating since SMF detectors hit the market. The easiest way to test this is to set all of the settings in each preset to the exact same setting levels, Max Frequency, and audio scheme, and do some live target hunting. If the presets are identical in structure, there should be no difference in target responses when switching to other presets.

Keep in mind that Sensitive, Sensitive Full Tones, and Fast are actually built on the same basic structure but there could be differences there too, so for testing puposes, try General, Sensitive, Park, and Deep HC all set at identical settings and see what you find out.

20 hours ago, UKD2User said:

There is an externally identifiable difference - the transmit waveform is different - it's stepped and looks like a very crude triangle wave (which will have different harmonics).  There are almost certainly differences in the way the return signal is analyzed but these will most likely remain trade secrets (unless the encryption can be broken). Most other modes use a transmitted signal which is essentially a repeating square wave with two alternating duty cycles.  The HC transmitted waveform requires more battery power (because it has more low frequency energy and the coil suffers greater resistive losses) - the Manticore does something similar, and this is the origin of their 'more power into the ground' marketing guff.

Thanks for the awesome analysis!  That is exactly the sort of post that I love to, but rarely do, see on MD forums!